Fast User Switching not working Lion GM

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by capoeira4u, Jul 3, 2011.

1. capoeira4u macrumors member

After installing Lion GM, I can't use the fast user switching. Every time I try to activate it (from the menu bar) the screen turns and freezes at a blank gray screen. I do anything except hold the power button and shut down. Anyone having the same problem?

2. deanster2u macrumors newbie

I have the exact same issue. Anybody have any answers?

3. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Works for my installs.

4. johto macrumors 6502

johto

Mine works just fine. Well, maybe a couple second delay (gray screen) before login screen shows up.

5. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Interesting. I'm glad I saw this thread. This is the one feature I absolutely have to have working. My wife and I are switching back and forth all day long.

For those that it was not working for, have you been able to resolve the issue? I had planned on upgrading as soon as it came out, but I'm going to hold off for a little while now.

6. Tutorer macrumors member

People could post their hardware and if it works or not. It works for me on a 2009 Mac Mini.

Those having problems could take a look at the Console for error reports. I guess it's a problem with graphics drivers.

7. PeterHolbrook macrumors 6502a

Works for me.

8. saba01 macrumors member

9. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

MBP in sig. Works for me, but there is a delay (ie. looks like it's frozen on a gray screen, but eventually goes to login screen)

10. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

merrickdrfc

It works on my 2010 iMac, but is extremely slow at doing so

11. JangoFett124 macrumors regular

12. Thor0805 macrumors newbie

Get Gray screen

Fast User Switching not working Lion..

13' MBP 2.53 Core 2 Duo
    4GB

13. Spelley macrumors newbie

I had same problem. Clicked on Fast User Switching icon and nothing happened. I went into SYSTEM PREFERENCES --> USERS & GROUPS --> LOGIN OPTIONS, and changed the "Fast User Switching" option to ICON (which is what I normally use, but oddly, FULL NAME was showing instead... thus the bug?).

Anyway, this fixed it.

14. jtholb macrumors newbie

A fix for me

So, I was having similar issues with fast user switching, as well as being unable to log in to any account from the normal login screen (thankfully I had automatic login for one of the accounts) but found a fix that worked. I also had something weird where one of my administrator accounts couldn't authenticate anything--the password was correct and would be accepted, but then it wouldn't actually give the OS the privileges to actually do anything.

Anyway, after trying the various listed fixes what worked for me was booting in single user mode (Command-S on boot) and then entering
    Code:
    /sbin/fsck -fy
    at the prompt. On reboot life was back to normal, thank goodness.