Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subzero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2005
Denmark
I am currently trying out ChronoSync 4.2 to backup my MBP to a SMB share on my network.

My backup profile is set to "Mirror Left-to-Right". The problem with it is, that it takes forever to analyze my data!
As a software engineer, I don't understand how it can take so long for CS to analyze what files have been modified since some timestamp.

Are there any alternatives?
I need a simple backup of files from my MBP to a SMB share on a schedule. Nothing more, nothing less :)
If nothing exists, I might have to create a script with rsync and crontab it.

subzero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2005
Denmark
Thanks for your reply.

From what I have understood, neither CCC or SuperDuper supports a SMB share as the target.

steveoc

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2007
Adirondacks NY
I overlooked that. You are correct, they don't. Just discovered that last week myself. There are others, but these are the only 3 I've worked with.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
I've been using chronosync for a while to backup photos and documents etc to external usb drives. Just today I've tried to get it to back up my user folder to NAS. Its taking forever! something relatively simple like internet history (at least thats what it looks like) which must be tiny files, are progressing at one every few seconds.

Connected via gigabit LAN to try and reduce the time taken. I suppose lots of small files isn't ideal for transfer rates, but does SMB add an overhead? Seems crazy slow.

Its still going nearly 12 hours later..

Will subsequent backups be quicker?

(I already have it backing up on time capsule, and keep a superduper bootable clone offsite. Just wanted an additional safety net)

subzero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2005
Denmark
I've been using chronosync for a while to backup photos and documents etc to external usb drives. Just today I've tried to get it to back up my user folder to NAS. Its taking forever! something relatively simple like internet history (at least thats what it looks like) which must be tiny files, are progressing at one every few seconds.

Connected via gigabit LAN to try and reduce the time taken. I suppose lots of small files isn't ideal for transfer rates, but does SMB add an overhead? Seems crazy slow.

Its still going nearly 12 hours later..

Will subsequent backups be quicker?

(I already have it backing up on time capsule, and keep a superduper bootable clone offsite. Just wanted an additional safety net)

Sounds very similar to my experience. I will probably end up with a simple rsync solution to solve it. It's unfortunate though, because except for the performance, I enjoy using ChronoSync.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
gave up in the end and cancelled the job. Will still use chronosync for my docs/photos, but I'm happy enough with the coverage of time capsule in the house, and an offsite USB drive. might add a local USB superduper bootable clone if I need to be back up and running quickly, but no urgent need

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
I'll have a look, thanks. I'm perfectly happy with chronosync for other jobs, just its having trouble with a user backup

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.