Faster battery drain on WiFi

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by rdy0329, Jun 7, 2015.

1. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

Is anyone experiencing a faster battery drain when you use your watch exclusively on wifi?

I used the watch when I went out yesterday exclusively on bluetooth. 100% off the charger and 60% when I got home at 8pm (moderate use). I was quite impressed with the batt life. I wanted to use the wifi functionality at home for faster response so I turned off my iPhone's bluetooth and put the watch on charge.

I removed the watch from the charger at 100% at 11PM and woke up 7 hours later at 70%. I continued the use of my watch and 3 hours later I'm at 58% (its barely 10am) with little to no use aside from notifications.

Is it safe to assume that the watch uses more power on WiFi? and does the watch constantly search for my iPhone's bluetooth signal even if they can communicate on the same WiFi network?

Just an observation. Any watch owners out there who can corroborate?

2. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I definitely think i noticed the same when i turned off bt on my phone. Its possible that the watch contually searches for a bluetooth signal like how your phone battery drains if you have bad reception and it constantly searches for a good one.

3. Glene macrumors 6502

4. maverick808 macrumors 65816

maverick808

Of course. Wi-Fi uses about 10 times as much power as Bluetooth so you'll definitely experience much quicker drain if you force the watch to only use Wi-Fi.

5. Varth Dader macrumors member

Wait, u mean the more features I use the more it drains the battery?! WTH?! Thannks, Apple!

6. leventozler macrumors 6502

7. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

The watch supports Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy - as the name implies, it's quite energy efficient (read: battery saving) :)

8. bmustaf macrumors regular

WiFi uses *MUCH* more power than Bluetooth LE. This makes sense. Situations where it's WiFi only and isn't using more battery than BTLE would suggest there just isn't much data transfer going on so it's not needing to use more power.