Faster CPU or Solid State Drive (SSD) for Nik plugins and Aperture

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by GreenDice, May 28, 2011.

1. GreenDice macrumors member

Newbie with Nik and Aperture 3.

I am going to order the new iMac. If the choices come down to getting a faster CPU or SSD, but not both. Which one should I pick to benefit Aperture and Nik plugin the most?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Peter Liu

P.S. I am still having problem with running SEP2 on my old iMac 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo. A3 always crashes when SEP2 starts. I never had any problem with the other plugins.

2. unclet macrumors member

I've been using Aperture 3 with Nik plugins on my 13" Macbook Air for about 5 months now. The MBA has a 2.13 Ghz Core 2 Duo processor, so it is a slower CPU than your current iMac. I haven't encountered any problems with the SEP2 or any of the other plugins crashing, and Aperture 3 and the plugins work better on this computer than they did on my previous 15" MBP, which also had a faster processor. So my only explanation is that the SSD more than makes up for the slower processor. If you're getting one of the new iMacs, you're already going to be getting a very good processor, even in the most basic one, so the SSD might be a better upgrade for you, at least according to my experience.

3. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn

I can also attest to the faster hard drive/ SSD. My Aperture library was unusable slow when I had it on an external Firewire 800 RAID. But, since splitting it up and moving it to my internal I've seen a huge increase in speed.

I'm planning on getting an SSD in the coming week or so and I expect to see an equally large, or even larger, increase in speed.

The best way to speed Aperture up is to put it on a faster drive and to get more RAM. Aperture loves RAM.

4. GreenDice thread starter macrumors member

I will be getting 12 GB RAM

RAM is very cheap nowadays. I even ordered 8 GB RAM for $65 before ordering my computer. So I will have 12 GB to feed Aperture.

5. aniketroxx macrumors member

aniketroxx

Faster CPU is the way to go for now ;) 8GB RAM will be enough to feed aperture