Faster Download Speeds on PowerPC Archive among a few other little updates

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gavinstubbs09, Nov 26, 2014.

1. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Figured I'd give you guys all a heads up, I've been working on PPC stuff lately and this is just one of the things to start.

The server used to host downloads is ridiculously slow, a Core Duo iMac running Windows XP in Virtualbox for HFS (HTTP File Server). My internet allows 1Mbps upload which is unsatisfactory when there are downloads every few minutes.

Nearing 11,000 page views on the archive alone each month is pretty crazy and therefore means a lot of downloads. I spent a good portion of my day switching as much as I could over to Google Drive where files could be downloaded much faster than what I could provide. So go ahead and try it out!

In other news, the Games and Tiger pages I plan to finish soon, I need to hunt for more stuff and test on a G4. Yosemite Icon Pack should see an update within the next few weeks too so stay tuned!

And I want to give an honerable mention to GameFreak348 as he helped me out a bit with Minecraft 1.5.2 so that should be widely available to us all soon :)

Just an update I figured I'd share. Any concerns, questions, ideas, share below!

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

This is quite an improvement over the older system of downloads. Good job, Gavin!