Faster DVD ripper (external)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by imahawki, Jun 11, 2011.

1. imahawki macrumors 6502a

I've searched here and google and am not coming up with much. What is a good external DVD drive that is going to rip DVDs much faster than the built in drive in my 2011 iMac. I understand they have "riplock" and are generally slower but I bought a little portable LG "notebook" DVD drive (one that runs off 2 USB ports with no power cable) and its actually SLOWER ripping DVDs so I don't want to make that mistake again. What is the fastest DVD ripping drive and are there any benchmarks out there?

2. imahawki thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

RIPping is a software function, not a hardware function. A faster SuperDrive may have a marginal positive effect on your RIPping speed over a slower drive. The effect, however, cannot be better than marginal. This is because reading the data from the DVD is only the first step in a fairly processor-bound process.

4. imahawki thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm ripping and converting in separate steps. The riplock which prevents movie DVDs from spinning faster (to eliminate noise) is most assuredly slowing down raw rips (no conversion).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riplock