Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

4409723

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
2,222
0
Originally posted by ChicagoMac
Ummm, I believe the classic Imac model has a G3 also, not just the Ibook. Try again!

Mocking admins, not the route I would take...
 
Comment

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
2,517
1
Madison, Wi
well im kinda torn on this one, the current G3's do run OS X very well, but why continue using them instead of G4's? I would think it would be a cost issue, but then why poor more money into improving the G3's? Anyways if the G3 is still the future for the iBook then at least it will be faster.;)
 
Comment

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
1,461
6
Originally posted by medea
I would think it would be a cost issue, but then why poor more money into improving the G3's?

simple, apple isn't investing a single solitary dime. this is an IBM venture, they make the chips not apple, and they make them for other people, not just apple. IBM sees a market for the higher clock speed G3's, and fortunately that helps apple as well. Furthermore, IBM does not make G4 processors.
 
Comment

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
4,391
10
toronto
Originally posted by medea
well im kinda torn on this one, the current G3's do run OS X very well, but why continue using them instead of G4's?

less heat generated, less power consumed. great for a laptop.

btw, i just got my 800 MHz iBook and it runs osx quite well. some apps (e.g. iCal) run faster on it than on my dual 500 MHz g4.
 
Comment

skunk

Contributor
Jun 29, 2002
11,759
6,071
Republic of Ukistan
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. - Bertrand
Russell"

Good quote, which many on these forums would do well to consider....:)
 
Comment

sjonni

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2002
29
0
Iceland
:) This is good. I hope it will run at 1200. My ibook is 600 now, I could use the extra 600. Lets hope for the best.:D :D
 
Comment

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
4,391
10
toronto
Originally posted by skunk
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. - Bertrand
Russell"

Good quote, which many on these forums would do well to consider....:)

glad you like it. one of my favorites. there were a couple others i considered:

It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong. -Voltaire
(1694-1778)

When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I'm
beginning to believe it. -Clarence Darrow, lawyer and author (1857-1938)

People who are willing to give up freedom for the sake of short term
security, deserve neither freedom nor security. -Benjamin Franklin,
statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)

Never confuse motion with action. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author,
and inventor (1706-1790)

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up
being governed by your inferiors. - Plato

I was told if I voted for Gore, the economy would be a mess. It's true. I
voted for Gore and the economy is a mess. -- Paul Begala, host of CNN's Crossfire
 
Comment

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
2,506
1,409
Originally posted by sjonni
:) This is good. I hope it will run at 1200. My ibook is 600 now, I could use the extra 600. Lets hope for the best.:D :D

No chance. You won't see an iBook sporting a faster processor than the $3000 PowerBook...it would utterly canibalize the sales
 
Comment

idkew

macrumors 68020
i wish apple had the resources and the gumption to take over motorola's or imb's ppc division and do something about this.

while yes, mhz to mhz, ppc may show a performance advantage ove x86's, when you are talking 3x the amont of cycles who cares?

it is cool the g3 is faster now, but we need a facter g4/5. one year is far too long.

maybe in two years intel/amd... will hit a speedbump and we'll see more g3 era ads with snails, steam rollers and fried "spacemen". i liked those days. i liked having the fastest computer available to consumers.
 
Comment

Bradcoe

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2002
134
0
Northeast U.S.
My prediction

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Apple continues to sell computers with G3's and "G5's". I quote G5 because no ones exactly sure what processor this will be (PPC 970 hopefully), just the next processor used in Apples computers. The G4 (regardless of why) isn't progessing at the rate of the G3. That is why I think, if apple wants to keep two processors, they will not keep the G4. The iBook will probably never see a G4. It's too hot and iBook users are viewed as non-power users, aka non-G4 users (in apple's eyes).

A faster G3 is greatly appreciated IBM. Now Apple just has to put it in use.

Whoever thinks the old school iMac might be upgraded is mistake in my opinion. No company should or would begin to remarket and put R&D into a product that hasn't been updated in so long.
 
Comment

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
2,075
0
Muncie, Indiana
I wonder about this, though...

... Why are we so quick to assume that Apple wouldn't sell a G3 that's faster than the G4? Mac fans might know why a G4 would be better, but switchers wouldn't. If there were a 2GHz iBook and a 1GHz Powerbook G4, would the iBook really cut into the PBG4's sales? Some, sure; but they'd sure sell a lot more iBooks to the switchers.

And any sale is a good sale; the more the better. Does anyone mind if Apple sells 3 million iBooks and maybe 200,000 fewer PBG4s? Apple needs to survive until the G5 is ready, and a little cannibalization can be tolerated. If IBM can supply 2GHz G3's, go ahead and sell 'em, Apple. We know the G5 is coming.
 
Comment

usersince86

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
377
751
Columbus, Ohio
As far as I know, the only *real* difference between the G3 and G4 is "Altivec". Many applications don't use Altivec, so the G3 is just as good as the G4.

The other difference is the IBM is making faster G3's and Motorola is s-l-o-w-l-y ramping up the G4's.

Apple fans should be IBM fans.
 
Comment

usersince86

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
377
751
Columbus, Ohio
Don't count out the *possibility* of a new "low-end" G3 machine (under $700.), with the faster G3's for the iBooks.

New low end machine: something like 800+MHz, 20-30G HD, 256M RAM, 16M VRAM, CD-RW, FW, USB, ethernet.

$699.00

That would bring more switchers.
 
Comment

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
1,461
6
Originally posted by idkew
i wish apple had the resources and the gumption to take over motorola's or imb's ppc division and do something about this.

while yes, mhz to mhz, ppc may show a performance advantage ove x86's, when you are talking 3x the amont of cycles who cares?

it is cool the g3 is faster now, but we need a facter g4/5. one year is far too long.

maybe in two years intel/amd... will hit a speedbump and we'll see more g3 era ads with snails, steam rollers and fried "spacemen". i liked those days. i liked having the fastest computer available to consumers.

I don't know why people assume that apple would be any better at getting mhz higher than moto or IBM. Apple doesn't know the first thing abuot chip fabrication. Whats more, the chip business would be a gigantic money pit unless apple continues selling to other companies, which means development would have to focus on things other than mhz, and so then you're stuck with exactly what faces IBM and Moto. if they didn't, the whole thing would collapse in a matter of months.

Though as you point out, apple doesn't have the resources anyway. and thank goodness for that.
 
Comment

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
1,672
0
Ottawa, ON
This could just be a sign that Apple is further trying to distance itself from Moto. It's a good move, if Apple doesn't want to get raped by those losers again. Twice is more than enough for anybody.
 
Comment

pnz999

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2002
70
0
ohh man, bad news! for people looking forward for G4 iBook/.

atleast, put some altivec stuff on the G3 core ...apple/ibm and as well as make the ibook into a tablet pc... it will work great with inkwell.
 
Comment

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
1,609
0
UK
I bet that IBM will come out with a "Celeron" type processor for the Mac. It will be a combination of G3 + Altivec running at say 1.5Ghz. Then, the 970 will be for the Pro machines running at 1.8Ghz. I think this could all happen around MWNY.
 
Comment

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
2,921
33
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by pnz999
ohh man, bad news! for people looking forward for G4 iBook/.

atleast, put some altivec stuff on the G3 core ...apple/ibm and as well as make the ibook into a tablet pc... it will work great with inkwell.

Expect to see a G4 iBook in 2 or 3 refreshes after the next update. Probably a little over a year. Don't take it as gospel, of course...

Still plenty of time for the G3 to blossom to to 1+GHz.
 
Comment

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
817
1
Originally posted by Falleron
I bet that IBM will come out with a "Celeron" type processor for the Mac. It will be a combination of G3 + Altivec running at say 1.5Ghz. Then, the 970 will be for the Pro machines running at 1.8Ghz. I think this could all happen around MWNY.
PPC 750fx (G3) with AltiVec cannot be considered as "Celeron" type of processor. Such processor would be 20% faster then G4's we have now.
G3 is faster then G4 in non-altivec operations.
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.