Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uaecasher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
Stillwater, OK
does it worth to pay more for a 30MB/s sandisk memory card when I have a 15mb/s? what exactly will be faster other than transferring it to my mac?

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
does it worth to pay more for a 30MB/s sandisk memory card when I have a 15mb/s? what exactly will be faster other than transferring it to my mac?

The point is that the camera can write to it faster. (The 30mb/s refers to the writing speed, not reading speed) Do you shoot in continuous mode? If so, I feel it's worth it.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Check your cameras maximum write speed, that will determine whether a faster card will be helpful in camera. Where faster cards shine is in the transfer of pictures from the card to a computer. A UDMA card with an appropriate card reader really ups the transfer speed to a computer.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
How many GB of pictures do you take typically? How much time does it normally take to download pictures?

If you take less than 2 or 3 GB it's not like you spend much time waiting anyway...

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
D90 can't put images to the card fast enough to take full advantage of the fastest card speeds. However, I have no idea about video recording, a faster card might be valuable there (though I seriously doubt it). Now if you had a D3 or a D700 and grip and wanted to shoot continuous bursts of RAW files on the high speed setting, you may want to invest in a faster card; but even then you'd need to be mindful of the camera's max write speed.

SLC

maddagascar

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
i went through the same problem deciding what to buy with my t1i..i eventually bought the sandisk sd extreme III...i forgot what class it is, but i know in the manual it said to get a high class.

just get a bigger faster one just in case, in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.