Faster Memory for Macbook (Pro)...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jdwingnut, Oct 10, 2008.

1. jdwingnut macrumors regular

Does anyone know if it's possible to put faster memory (PC2-6400) in a late model Macbook (Pro) or do I have to stay with the current spec memory (PC2-5300).

Also how much memory will the current machines address. Can I put more than 4Gb's in it. I know I can physically.

2. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Crucial.com has all the information you'd ever need to know.

3. jdwingnut thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip mathcolo. I am aware of what is stated can be put into the MB's and MBP's. What I'm trying to find out is, if it can be done and would it make any difference. Has anyone here at MR's done something like this before.

ps. Nice location

4. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Stay with current spec.

I don't know if this has anything to do with the PC2 stuff you're talking about, but a MBP will not work with 800Mhz RAM; it will only accept 667Mhz.

Since you have to stick within that requirement, I think it's reasonable to guess that you would need to stick to current spec for everything about RAM.

5. iBunny macrumors 65816

The MacBook/MBP will allow for DDR2 800 memory; however, said memory will only run at 667 MHz, defeating the purpose altogether.

6. jdwingnut thread starter macrumors regular

This is what I suspected but could not find the info I was looking for elsewhere.

Thanks again