Faster Ram in Maxed out First Gen MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sdsviet, Sep 9, 2009.

1. sdsviet macrumors regular

i currently have a first gen mbp and i already maxed out the 2gb 667 in it. i know i cant add anymore but i was wondering if getting faster ram will help with any speed increases on my mbp. here's my current setup

First Gen MBP 15"
    2.0 mhz
    256mb vram
    2gb 667
    320gb 5400

i do a lot of photoshop work and if i open more than 5 images at a time then it will lag. these images are pretty big since they were converted from raw and onto tiffs. i can see putting in a faster harddrive but that's about it. i was wondering if i should just sell this mbp and maybe find a unibody for cheap somehow. will lets say a unibody with only 128vram be faster than my 256vram. around the same specs of course.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

nope, it will not help one bit.

Even if you could find compatible faster ram, the system will only access the ram at its own bus speed, so you'd be wasting your money.

3. m85476585 macrumors 65816

f you can find lower latency RAM, it might be a few % faster. If you have CL5, you can get CL4. If you already have CL4, there is nothing faster available.

I don't know how to check the latency in OS X. In Windows, you can use CPU-Z but it won't work in Fusion/Parallels; only bootcamp.

4. sdsviet thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the responses guys. i think i might just wait and see where my photography is going and if its expanding fast then i would most likely upgrade to a new mbp. also quick side question. how do i check how many posts i have and i havnt been back here in awhile and i remember them changing up the sell forum. i believe i have the minimum requirement to access it but i cant find it anywhere.

5. gamer2502 macrumors regular

To check your post # you go under quick links and click on the "my profile" button and it is in there:apple: