Faster rendering and converting?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by slipper, Nov 8, 2008.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

I have a Macbook 2ghz Duo Core with the OEM Toshiba 80gb HD and 2gb RAM. Im planning to upgrade to a Hitachi 7k200 or 7k320 soon but what else can i do to speed up the machine? It takes forever just to import and export movies. I know the macbook isnt a video editing powerhouse, i just want to speed it up a little.

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

all of your media need to be on an external FW drive... don't bother with a 7200rpm internal, it'll just produce more heat.

3. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

Actually all the video is now on an external FW harddrive... but i hate it. I dont like being stuck to a wire. Thats why i was planning to upgrade to the 200gb or 320gb Travelstar.

I learned the hard way that video takes up massive amounts of storage while on my trip and ran as low as 300mbs of space left on the HD. Its probably fragmented big time. Although now i have 10gb free'd up now.

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

well having the media on a 7200rpm internal will be slower than what your doing now.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Also, for rendering and converting that is pretty much all on your CPU.

Lethal

6. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

Having the files on an internal Hitachi 7k HD would be slower than having the files on a FW external?

7. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

yup, because your OS would have to pull from the same drive as the media. better to have the media on its own drive so that the OS and rendering/compressing work independently.

8. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper