Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
I see that scrolling long pages with graphics such as The UK Daily Mail is much faster using the new Firefox for iOS9 than Safari.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's likely inertia scrolling in play, which isn't used in Safari (at least not to its full capacity).

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
Agreed. 3rd party apps use the Webkit engine so its not something substantially different under the hood.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
It's likely inertia scrolling in play, which isn't used in Safari (at least not to its full capacity).
Definitely the latter. If it was absent completely it would stop scrolling as soon as your finger left the screen and feel very artificial and unintuitive

Salvor Hardin

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
When did they first make this change to Safari? I've seen people talking about it since at least iOS 7. Very strange that they'd change something that was commonly the reason why people felt that both the iPhone and iPad felt like magic when they were first released. The current scrolling feels more like using like a slow scrollwheel when before it felt very 1:1 to your movement which is how the rest of iOS still handles it.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
UI is smoother in general for some reason. I think it might have something to do with being made with Swift 2.0, but can't be sure.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
When did they first make this change to Safari? I've seen people talking about it since at least iOS 7. Very strange that they'd change something that was commonly the reason why people felt that both the iPhone and iPad felt like magic when they were first released. The current scrolling feels more like using like a slow scrollwheel when before it felt very 1:1 to your movement which is how the rest of iOS still handles it.
Hard to say. Not sure it was really supported all the way at all, or perhaps quite a ways back at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.