Faster SSD Matter?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jhch50, May 19, 2015.

1. jhch50 macrumors newbie

I have a 15" Macbook Pro Retina Late 2013 with a PCIe SSD already. Does the faster SSD in the new Macbook Pro matter?

Does it make a difference in everyday usage like opening a browser and copy a file to a HDD etc.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

For everyday usage, it's not going to be noticeable unless you spend a lot of time transferring large files.

3. mcmul macrumors 6502

Probably not in the use case stated. Definitely if you're playing with VMs though.

4. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

It will be noticeable in everything to some degree and a lot in certain cases. Pretty impressive update.

5. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I think the difference between a SATAIII SSD and a PCIe SSD only appears when doing I/O intensive tasks like audio and video processing. Some big software projects can be benefited of fast I/O.

Also, if Apple reaches the 2GB/s mark, MBAs with just 4GB of RAM will be more future-proof, since swapping won't be perceptible for common tasks. The SSD will perform at nearly 20% the speed of a DDR3 module, which is very fast. I think the PCIe bus on 2015 MBAs are still capable of delivering 2GB/s (although the SSD blades not yet), but I'm not sure.

6. jhch50 thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean, I do more than just those basic tasks. I was thinking about upgrading my 256 SSD to a larger size SSD, but don' know if I should go for the fast SSD.

Anyone know if there is a website with SSD vs Fast SSD real world speed different comparison?