Faster than the old Apple TV??

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by bigpoppamac31, Sep 24, 2015.

1. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

So I'm considering getting the new Apple TV when it becomes available. I'm just wondering how much faster and responsive it will be compared to the previous generation. I've used streaming service like Netflix on a PS3 and stand alone Blu-ray player (currently) and they fairly sluggish overall. Netflix takes up to 2 minutes or more at times to buffer up to 1080p. Often it has to re-buffer so it's not consistent. Also will I need iTunes 12 to be able to use the new Apple TV??

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Are you sure the buffering isn't caused by your internet connection, not the AppleTV?

3. Longkeg macrumors regular

Stream buffering probably has more to do with the quality and speed of your internet service than with the hardware. Whether you're driving a Chevy or a Rolls, gas will only fill the tank as fast as the pump can deliver it. That said, my ATV3 starts playing my Nelflix selections in 10 -15 seconds but I average 75mbs download speeds.

Apple always recommends using the latest version of iTunes with new iOS releases. Since tvOS will be brand new you'd be taking your chances by pairing a new ATV with an older version of iTunes - if it even works at all.

4. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well I currently don't have an Apple TV. My question is for a future purchase. Right now I'm just using a Sony Blu-Ray player for Netflix streaming until the new Apple TV is released.

5. Longkeg macrumors regular

Do you know what kind of speed your ISP is giving you. Without that info we are all just guessing.

6. easy4lif macrumors regular

easy4lif

Got the Apple tv 3, when i had it on my airport wireless network (N 2.4/5 ghz) only reached 65mbps. upgraded network to extreme ac and still maxed out at 65mbps. the design I think only had space for one antenna.

7. Longkeg macrumors regular

8. Tech198, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2015

Tech198 macrumors G4

Same thing here..... I takes 2 minutes when starting to streaming HD on iTunes on my 8mpb connection.... (this may also include buffering).

On your netflix though u can set the 'Auto' option.. It you and others prefer quality over a bandwidth constraint connection, then new Apple TV won't solve any problems... Its your ISP

Apple TV 4 probably would be faster, but if u cannot watch HD without buffering due bandwidth constraints, a new Apple TV won't help.

True, we are just guessing, but based on the fact its' buffering' with HD and takes 2 minutes to start, then it can't be more than 9-10Mbps.

9. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm not sure my connection speed but it's quite fast when I use my Mac or iPhone. At the moment I live with my dad. His ISP is Rogers.

Well keep in mind I'm watching Netflix on a Sony blu-ray player. I've never had an Apple TV.

10. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Although I have no real specs, from the responsiveness of my BDP-470S I would say it is rather under-specced for the task of running this pile of Java crap it needs to do.
    appleTV has the advantage of running compiled machine code.
    Also, you might want to try to add additional storage to it's USB port. Alas, a Flash-pendrive will still take time to write to. With real HDD it is considerably faster. I can't say if the Netflix app Sony provides can take advatage of external storage, but e.g. BDLive can.

11. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well I think I'll just suck it up for now with using the blu-ray player until I get the Apple TV. The blu-ray player is great for BRDs and DVDs. So when I get the new Apple TV I'll do all my streaming through that.

12. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

"Fast" loading a webpage on an iPhone can mean anything.

On my Macs, Netflix usually starts playing within 2 seconds in HD after pressing play. On my dedicated Bluray player, it takes forever. Why such implementations are always SO bad, I just dont get. I have a 90/90 Mbps fiber connection.

13. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well I don't watch Netflix on my Mac cause I'd have to download MS Silverlight and I'm not doing that. No MS crap on my Mac thank you.

14. theatremusician macrumors member

theatremusician

Test your bandwidth at http://speedtest.net
    That will tell whether it's your hardware that's slow or your connection.

15. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

But instead of having a good experience, you are having a crappy one, with your current approach. So you may want to reconsider what you think of as being 'crap'.

16. Wunderwally macrumors member

Wunderwally

AFAIK Netflix doesn't use Silverlight on mac when using Safari!

17. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

MS is crap. Everyone knows that. Even MS users. lol

I tried viewing Safari but it's wants me to install Silverlight. I'm running Mavericks.

18. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

The issue you describe sounds like an ISP issue, not the device.

19. Wunderwally macrumors member

Wunderwally

20. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Actually you also have to be using a 2011 model Mac or newer. https://help.netflix.com/en/node/22822.