Faster Torrents?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Spartan Sh4dow, May 3, 2009.

1. Spartan Sh4dow macrumors newbie

Spartan Sh4dow

Alright, So Im using Transmission fully port forwarded, my ISP can get up to 12MB/s and I only once have seem 1MB/s

I usually get about 700kB/s or so...

Any way to get faster speeds?

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Have you checked your speed on a torrent that's well seeded? What's your upload speed rate maximum that your provider gives? Might be worth checking a speed check both up and down to see what you can get.

3. Spartan Sh4dow thread starter macrumors newbie

Spartan Sh4dow

4. Koronis macrumors member

Koronis

Are you sure the speed you get is 12MB, from your speed test, its looks like you get 12Mb , which is about 1.5MB. 700KB is still about half of your maximum speed, but that can depend on the seeding of your torrents.

(MB = megabytes and Mb = megabits)

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

1) Enable port forwarding

2) Disable any firewalls you many have, even on your router

3) During busy times of day, lunchtime, evening etc your download speed can go down as much as 90%

4) Publicly available torrents (piratebay etc) are terrible for download speeds because your downloading them from other amateur users, private torrents are much better.

6. nayr macrumors newbie

I agree with what other people have posted. You might also want to try newsgroups. ;)

7. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

8. Spartan Sh4dow thread starter macrumors newbie

Spartan Sh4dow

9. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

actually thats what net neutrality is all about, technically its illegal for them to do it but they do it anyway :(

10. Makosuke macrumors 603

It usually goes by the euphemism "traffic shaping." Cox started doing that a few years ago, and when their customer support lied to me about it I immediately switched to DSL and never looked back. And they *did* lie, because it came out just recently during congressional hearings that they'd been doing it for a while, which confirmed what I and some other users had figured out at the time.

AT&T claims publicly that they have no problem at all with BT and other filesharing as long as the files are legit, and indeed, so far, I've never had the slightest problem with them and BT. I still strongly dislike the company for other reasons, but as far as this goes they seem to be doing the right thing.