Faster way to sleep AppleTV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by AppleCrisp, Oct 22, 2010.

1. AppleCrisp macrumors member

Its kind of a hassle to have to navigate out of whatever I was watching all the way over to the sleep now button in the settings. Is there any way to quickly sleep it? Holding down a button on the remote maybe? Thanks!

2. doboy macrumors 68000

yes, hold down the center button (on the directional keys) when in the main menu.

3. chriso89 macrumors regular

4. AppleCrisp thread starter macrumors member

apple conditioned me to not pay attention to manuals! they're always one page long

thanks doboy!

5. drewc1138 macrumors 6502

Just curious...why do people care about sleeping it? I thought one of the things they heralded was how little power it ran on.

6. miklovo macrumors member

When I first got my apple tv I was all about "putting it to sleep" but I got over that after about a week. When I'm done using it now, I just switch inputs back to the cable box and eventually it goes to sleep.

7. Slower Pace macrumors member

Are you streaming radio?

When my :apple:TV wouldn't sleep from time to time I investigated. I discovered the last thing I was doing was listening to Internet radio, and even though I went off HDMI and turned off my surround sound system, :apple:TV was still playing song after song.

On the menu I now go to TV or Movies, then to my TV setting off the HDMI the :apple:TV is using, then turn off the surround sound system. It sleeps in 1/2 hour afterwards every time now.

8. The General macrumors 601

they should have also conditioned you not to think about things like sleeping the appletv. it's pointless.