Faster web design?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Aperture, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

I currently use Coda as my web development tool. I write all my code (quality HTML and CSS) by hand. Although I get a good, quality end result, it is certainly time consuming. Are there any tools out there that can help speed up the development process? I'm most definitely not looking for anything WYSIWYG, so no iWeb. :)

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well, you could start keeping code snippets. Make a little library of them. Have it for snippets of HTML, CSS, JavaScript, whatever you need. I use BBEdit as my tool of choice and have created some AppleScripts inside of it to speed things up some as well as making use of the Clippings feature. TextWrangler can also do most of this as well, which is free. I guess it depends what areas you want to speed up.

3. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

been a while since i last posted on mr. I generally start out with an empty template html file and a css file with common properties that I use. minimises time by only 20 or so minutes, but it's handy to have also, in texmate, they have heaps of shortcuts for tags and stuff

4. m3kilpat macrumors regular

I know there is a program that lets you save code that you can easily call to be inserted into a document. It said it integrates with textmate. For the life of me I cannot remember the name of the program.

But to answer the main question, I would just recommend using a good web dev program, which you are already doing. So I don't think you'd be able to speed things up much. Maybe take older work and modify it?

5. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    I love the code view of Dreamweaver. In fact, the other views are horrible, but this one is awesome. I use it for everything I do, try looking on websites such as eBay for a lower price. CS3 does great as well. Also, the Adobe Educational Store has some unbelievable deals on it.

6. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

You need to utilize 'Clips' in Coda - it's fantastically fast! Clips has sped up my workflow tremendously. And now you can create plugins for Coda, although I don't know how to do that yet.

Anyways, I can fly through coding with Coda, and then use CSS Edit for your CSS. It allows you to see a live preview of the changes your making - no need to save, upload, refresh, repeat.

Summary - Clips will speed up your hand coding, CSS Edit will terrifically speed up your CSS generation.

7. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    What you do is relying to much on software. You will lose certain abilities you should get used to, and what happens if after half a year of intensively using Clips you will want to switch to a command-line based vim (I know, not the smartest example)?

8. ritze macrumors member

I say stick with Coda and handwrite your code - I do it, and i actually kind of like it as well you don't rely on programs like dreamweaver do make the code for you which ends up being really messy code. just my opinion...

9. seventeen macrumors member

Just spend some quality time making a quality template for you to use.

10. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

It's not just your opinion, Dreamweaver does make messy, ugly, bloated code. :)

Handwrite and learn to see the visual through the code, kinda like the matrix. Where's the Neo Emoticon? Anyone? Anyone?