Faster white macbooks?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by XxpikachuxX, Jan 24, 2009.

1. XxpikachuxX macrumors 6502

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yeah... we know about the update.

We also know nothing about any future price reductions. The aluminum models will not be updated for months.

3. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Agreed with Tallest Skil.

What interests me is whether the white MacBook will be updated with the other ones when the regular MacBooks are next updated, or if the white one will stay 1/2 to 1 generation behind the regular ones.

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...so now with the same CPU, GPU and FSB could the white book handle DDR3 RAM also?

Trying to decide between the two (white book and base uni model).

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The Unibody base still is faster. DDR3 vs DDR2 memory is a big difference.

6. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Almost definitely not. For at least the past 5 years Apple has never dropped the price on any of its computer products without it being accompanied by at least a minor hardware revision (as far as I can remember anyway). So unless you can envision a hardware revision coming to the alu MB, then there won't just spontaneously be a price drop on it one day.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nope. Physically impossible.

8. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

It lacks the styling of the new machine, doesn't have backlit keys, uses slower RAM. With that said, I've already sold my Macbook and have one on order. I could care less about the styling and the speed difference in RAM will be small if anything significant. On the plus side, it still has FW which is why I did not purchase the update when they came out in October. Now that they are closer in spec, I'll take my 7200 rpm drive and 4GB of RAM out of my current Macbook and be good for at least another year.

9. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

There is a difference, but what makes you so sure about the "bigness" of the difference? No doubt DDR3 is superior to DDR2, but what amount of speed increase that results in on real world performance of different individual tasks is hard to gauge without doing actual performance tests.

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Probably drop the price on new ones to nothing as they EOL the machines and stop selling them.

11. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Hah, wow, I can't imagine Jobs ever admitting that people liked the old one better than the new one that he promoted so strongly.