Fastest 2.5" Harddrive for new MacBook Alu

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Death Warrant, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Death Warrant macrumors newbie

Hello folks

I just ordered a brand new MacBook with 2.4GHz and the standard 250GB harddrive.

I'm now thinking to exchange the harddrive with a better and faster one. Apple sells for the MacBook only the 5400rpm drives and only for the MacBook Pro the faster 7200rpm drivers.

Can someone tell me a good and fast harddrive with around 250GB or 320GB with 7200rpm?

What does the MacBook support, only SATA-150 (SATA1) or SATA-300 (SATA2)?

I've seen those:

HD Western Digital 320GB SATA
    12ms, 5400rpm, 8MB, 2.5", SATA-150, 9.5mm
    WD3200BEVT

or

HD Western Digital 320GB SATA2
    12ms, 7200rpm, 16MB, 2.5", SATA-300, 9.5mm
    WD3200BEKT

Or is it even possible to run a SAS 2.5" harddrive with maybe an adaptor?

Thanks for the answers guys

Phil

2. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

3. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

The Seagate Momentus 7200.3 is a ridiculous hard drive. First of all its at the top of its class in performance right now, and the power drain is actually quite low too. It doesn't cost too much either and comes with a 5 year warranty.

I'm definitely going to pick one of these up and put it in my new MBP when I get it.

4. beret9987 macrumors regular

This is an awesome drive! I'm personally waiting on a 500GB, 7200rpm drive myself. That'll be perfect for me and my huge photo/music collection. But 110(on newegg) for a 320GB 7200rpm drive is an excellent deal in my book.

5. pufftissue macrumors regular

This is the one I got; it's $89 at zipzoomfly

I haven't actually used it yet, but according to the benchmarks, it is fast and also has very low power consumption. It seems to use as much power as the average 5400 rpm drive out there (Seagate's own 5400rpm drives seem a bit better, and perhaps WD's), but in broad strokes, you do have no tradeoffs here:

Very fast, Very low power draw, Very low price.
    How often do you get to get to experience no tradeoffs in life?

6. mobilehavoc macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

As a new OSX user with a Alu Macbook 2.4, I've been contemplating switching out the HD too although performance seems great with the included 5400rpm for now so I might wait.

My question is, can I do a TimeMachine backup, swap out the hard drives, use Leopard Restore disc and restore that TimeMachine backup? Assuming I can, will I lose ANYTHING? Or is it seamless in terms of picking up where I left off.

By the way, no matter what anyone says, a 7200rpm HD will always take more power and generate more heat than a 5400rpm...simple physics :)

7. owdin macrumors member

Do Flatscreens produce more Heat and use more power than the 1st TV ever?
    No they don't, so why wouldn't 7200 drives use same power and heat than 5400?

8. mobilehavoc macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

Flatscreens and TVs aren't even the right analogy.

Nature of what you are getting - higher revolutions per minute in same form factor. How can you spin something 50% faster than something else that's identical without more energy and (in this case) more heat? If you can prove this, maybe you can get the Nobel prize this year.

9. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

yo

i just boiught the WD passport elite 250

its sexy

paid 100

10. mobilehavoc macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

Isn't that an external USB HD?

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

My momentus consumes less power than the WD 5400RPM drive that I replaced it with. In fact, it consumes less power than most 5400RPM drives as tested in the Tom' Hardware review. This is a measured fact. My battery life has also gone up by about 10%.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/notebook-hard-drive,2006.html

12. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

This is true assuming the same technology and friction in the bearings as well as the same spin time. Older 5400rpm drives probably produce more heat and use more electricity than new 7200rpm drives because manufacturing has gotten more precise, reducing the friction on spinning it. But newer 5400rpm drives will be more efficient than the new 7200rpm drives.

The best argument (not saying it is totally correct but does factor) is that because the 7200 rpm drives are faster, they won't have to spin as long and so in theory, could produce similar or better efficiency, but that is assuming a set amount of data transfer as opposed to a set amount of time.

13. bektravels macrumors regular

Pretty sure you can take the WD drive out of the passport, swap the drives and stick the old one back into the passport and voila! You have an upgraded HD in the MB and an external drive too.

14. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I did that with my WD 250GB drive. The only downside is that you lose the warranty.

15. mobilehavoc macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

I wonder what the real-world performance increase would be over the 250GB 5400RPM drive in my MB. Due to having 4GB of RAM, I don't think the HD is accessed that often. I don't do any video editing either or encoding that would require a speedy HD.

In my case, might not even be worth the trouble of upgrading to the 7200rpm.

16. Anijake macrumors 6502

Anijake

Just ordered one from Newegg for $110, plus if you look down the page a bit at the combo deals you can also get a 2.5 enclosure for free, and free shipping on both.

17. mobilehavoc macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

I've decided to hold off on upgrading the HD on my MB to 7200rpm. Instead I'm waiting for cheaper, faster SSDs to be available and then I'm skipping 7200rpm straight to SSD. Apart from speed increases and lower power consumption with SSDs, I'm looking forward to no moving parts meaning it'll be 100x more reliable and last a lot longer!!!

18. Death Warrant thread starter macrumors newbie

I just ordered the Seagate Momentus 7200.3 drive, which seems to be a very good and fast drive.

Just need to wait until the MacBook arrives ;-)

Cheers

19. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Are there 2 versions of the Seagate - one with g-shock sensor and one without? I assume it's best to get the one without if using in a MacBook Pro as they already have a Sudden Motion Sensor?

20. Phat Ham macrumors member

I put a Seagate Momentus 7200.3 250GB drive in my MBP last night. I can't really comment on increased performance since I haven't really done anything HDD intensive with the stock drive. But based on everything I've read this is supposed to be a fantastic drive.

I will say that the Seagate is noisier than the stock Hitachi drive. In a really quiet room I can hear the drive seeking or doing whatever hard drives do. The stock Hitachi was dead quiet. If you need absolute silence from a hard drive this is not the one for you.

Hard to beat the 5 year warranty.

I like newegg, but in this case tigerdirect was $15 cheaper (plus a couple bucks cheaper on shipping).

The Western Digital Scorpio is another highly rated drive that's in the same price range as the Seagate Momentus.

21. Phat Ham macrumors member

hmm...looks like there are indeed two versions and I got the one without the free fall protection.

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm sold!

Damnit all to hell though! I needed to take a vacation from buying anything (aside from one more plane ticket + hotel). Now there's this! Bad geek influences!

23. LED macrumors member

Do you feel any vibration on the palmrest?

24. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

good decision. i don't know how accurate it is, but istat is reporting my ocz ssd to be 0 degrees celcius =)

25. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

SSD rocks

The Hitachi Travelstar 7K320 (7200rpm, 320G) offers the most bang for the buck in terms of capacity to speed ratio to price ratio. It tops out at 75MB/s READ and WRITE. It's going for $79 after double rebate on ZipZoomFly.com.

But for blazing speed at an 'almost reasonable' price with 'adequate' storage capacity, the OCZ Core Series 128G SSD is tempting. We measured 103MB/s READ and 86MB/s WRITE. You can buy it at Amazon for $349 after rebate.