Fastest 2nd HDD (Optibay)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iMackPro, Apr 15, 2011.

1. iMackPro macrumors 6502

I have finally decided to install a second HD in my computer via optibay. Ive read the info at MCE and decided ill buy the actual Optibay from them but not their hard drive as its not fast enough for what i want.. ill be putting nothing but blu ray movies not his and they wont be compressed. so the average file will range from 7-11 Gigs. i cant afford another SSD so that is out of the question. im willing to spend no more than 300ish$ on the HDD itself, in a thread similar to this one someone showed me the Hitachi 7k3000 drive and said it was pretty quick… does anyone have any other HDD they would recommend for me to use in the Optibay?

I really want the fastest HDD i can get. 300 is a pretty good amount of money on a platter so it should be fast as hell. i understand that the ODD is only a SATA II connection so it wont be as fast as if it were in the actual hard drive area but i have my SSD there and i don't want the hassle to change that.

Will anyone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE link me or refer me to HDD that will fit in the optibay and are AS FAST AS POSSIBLE. I would like a 1 TB storage disk but id rather get speed over storage amount (id rather get a faster 750 hd than a slower 1 TB).. Im willing to even get a 500GB if its blazingly fast. 0.5 TB is as low as id like to go though, so anywhere between 0.5-1.0 TB and as fast as you can possibly find for around 300$ little more is okay, little less is much better :D
    BIG THANK YOU TO ANYONE that can help me find one!!!!!!

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You really won't notice a difference for playing blu ray rips, or much anything else really, given that you already have the SSD. But the above post is the fastest HDD that will fit in your optibay.

3. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

4. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Its the luck of the draw, from results, but the Momentus XT gets really quick speed test results.

5. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

6. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

the 750gb black though doesnt have that sensor ?

7. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

Unless you juggle your laptop like a carnival freak I say sensor schmensor!

8. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

I thought its one of the ones that does...