Fastest 500GB Hard Drive For MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mugs, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Mugs macrumors regular

Hey, I know this comes up a lot but I couldn't find any recent ones that fitted my criteria. :) Basically I was just wondering what the fastest 500GB hard drive is for a 15inch MBP?? I've heard that the WD scorpio blue is pretty fast but I didn't know if it was THE fastest. Thanks a lot.

2. weemanpow3 macrumors 6502

weemanpow3

3. Mugs thread starter macrumors regular

Ok cool, that looks pretty good thanks. Does anyone else know about any other drives. Thanks

4. crzdmniac macrumors regular

Here is a link to a review of 7 different 2.5", 500GB HDs. It's a good article if you're trying to make a decision.

5. crzdmniac macrumors regular

Here is another link for more "real world" performance. You'll have people tell you Seagate, some WD, etc. What it all comes down to is how much you want to spend, and the trade-offs with each model.

6. Mugs thread starter macrumors regular

Hey. Thanks a lot everyone, so it looks like the seagate 7200.4 is the fastest. Coolio. :) thanks again.

7. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Actually the WD Blue is the fastest. Look at the results.

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

To be honest, those benchmarks of times doesn't really mean anything to the consumer. Regardless of what you have, WD or 7200.4, one might load an application in 3 seconds while the other might load in 3.2 seconds - are you really going to tell the difference? (That's my experience with both drives - load times are equally as fast). The only thing I could actually differentiate was OS X boot up times, 7200.4 was clearly more faster; average 10 seconds or less compared to WD 15-20 seconds.

9. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Not per what others have seen. The Seagate had slower boot times.

The WD has faster access times, which will cause it to have faster boot times. The faster spin rpms means nothing if it can't access fast.

Anytime you purchase a HD, you always look at the access times, not the speed it runs at.

10. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Anything With SATA and 7200RPM with a cache of 16mb or larger will be very fast. SSD aren't affordable (nor buyable at the consumer level, AFAIK) in the 500GB range, but they would be at least twice as fast as any mechanical drive.

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have the Scorpio Blue and it is very fast, quiet and cool

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]