Fastest Airport Extreme + Time Capsule Network Config ...Help Needed

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jzj687, Mar 26, 2010.

1. jzj687 macrumors regular

Hi,

I really need some help from you guys.

My hardware:

- 1 Airport Extreme (the square one, but not dual band)

- 1 Time Capsule (new dual band)

- 1 Cable modem

- 1 (old) space-ship looking airport extreme

I am trying to figure out how to make the fastest network possible for my house... i have ethernet wires running through most floors so all the base stations can be connected to each other if they need to be.

Also, I definitely need to have both bands because there is an old ibook in the house that can't access "n" networks.

Any advice on how to set this up would be great and much appreciated... I know I could make a WDS, or I could just have the base stations running the same name network and theyll merge, but I really don't know what to do to have the FASTEST connection / if and what to connect to the LAN or WAN ports...

Please help me out!

Thanks so much!!!

2. belvdr macrumors 603

The fastest would be to configure them all to be standalone APs and wire them from their LAN port to the one you use as the Internet facing router. If you want to share your TC on the Internet (I personally cringe at this idea), then it should be your Internet router. If you don't wish to do that, pick another one that has gigabit interfaces (most likely your square AEBS).

Disable DHCP except for the Internet router and you're done.

WDS would work, but every time you add another WDS link, bandwidth is halved.

3. jzj687 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much Belvdr!

I just wish I understood half of those terms (I'm pretty basic in my understanding of all these technical terms.. I just know some basic stuff)

What exactly is an AP?

What do you mean by connect them from their LAN ports to the one used as an internet facing router? What is an internet facing router? Also, does that mean I connect them from one LAN port to another? Or, is there any WAN port connection involved?

Oh, and what exactly does sharing my time capsule on the internet mean and why do you cringe at it?

Ok, I guess I'm realllly basic.

Thank you so much! Really appreciate the help/clarification.

4. belvdr macrumors 603

AP = Access Point. Here's what I'd do. Configure the TC and older AEBS exactly the same (same wireless SSID, same encryption, same key, etc) and disable DHCP. Now take the new AEBS and configure it the same as the others, leave DHCP enabled, and configure your WAN port (if it needs it, such as using PPPoE).

Now, take your AEBS (square one) and plug the cable modem into the WAN port (this is your Internet facing router, because it has an interface connected to the Internet). Then on the back of the unit, there are 3 LAN ports. Connect one LAN port to each of the other units' LAN ports. The TC and the older AEBS will use their LAN ports (not their WAN ports).

At this point, your TC and older AEBS will no longer be routers, but will function as access points, in the sense they will bridge your wireless connection straight to the wired ports.

It means whatever you store on your TC could be accessed by someone on the Internet. Not a very good security practice in my opinion, especially for most consumers.

It's okay. We all started from scratch at one point in time.

No problem. :)

5. jzj687 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much! Seriously!!!

Just 2 questions:

Is there any reason why my square AEBS should be the internet facing router over the TC?

And since the older AEBS can only run b/g and since it will be running b/g, is there any reason to have the TC running both b/g and n, or should it just be running n? Or, should I get rid of the old AEBS all together?

Thanks

6. belvdr macrumors 603

No real reason, other than security. If you believe you'll ever want to share the content on the TC to someone on the Internet, then make the TC the Internet router. If not, then make the square AEBS the Internet router. By keeping the TC on the local network without an active Internet accessible IP, it provides one extra layer of security.

If I'm correct, the square AEBS is capable of gigabit wire speeds, so it will provide no loss in performance.

If you have enough wireless coverage without the older AEBS, I'd leave it offline. Too many wireless access points can actually decrease your wireless throughput. I'd try without the older one first, and if you find you need it, you can always turn it on and configure it.

You're welcome.

7. jzj687 thread starter macrumors regular