Fastest Bondi iMac in the world (I think)

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Spock, May 3, 2007.

1. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but oh well, I broke up with my girlfriend today and I was bored so I had some fun with my Bondi iMac.... Sorry about the poor PIC I only have my phones cam and trust me Photoshop had nothing to do with this pic.

Attached Files:

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Do you plan to replace the display with an LCD panel, or keep the CRT?

Also, this isn't the slot loader, is it? It's too bad you can't get a slot-load superdrive into it. You could have a lot of fun with that... maybe throw a RAID rack in the upper back somewhere?

3. RRK macrumors 6502

RRK

Sweet, how much did it cost you, and are you going to give some directions?:cool:

4. Spock thread starter macrumors 68000

Spock

Well It only cost the price of a Bondi iMac witch at the time I bought it was $25. How to do it? Well we shall see...

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Keep the tray. Looks more retro. And retro is in.:cool:

6. papadopolis1024 macrumors 6502

And you had some C2Ds sitting around I am guessing right ;)

O and PLEASE tell us! :D

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

could've just figured out a way to use it as a monitor too :p

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Yep, these iMacs had a regular VGA cable going into the main board. You just have to disconnect it and send it out the back...

9. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Im going to go with this option.

:)

10. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Hmm...makes me want to put my mini in my Bondi iMac....:)

11. Spock thread starter macrumors 68000

Spock

You got me, I was going to wait until this was mentioned, as much as I would love to take credit for putting a Mac Mini with a C2D in this beast I didnt. I left a small hint in the PIC if you look closley the displays panel is open behind the about box. I removed the inner casings of the iMac and found the video cable, the video cable is not a standard VGA cable its the old Apple display connector after searching my Mac stuff for 2 hours I found my adapter to turn it into VGA at first I just plugged in the power and the video and I got nothing, I had to place the logic board back in place and reconnect it before the thing would turn on, and the display must be set to 1024*768 75Hz. After the iMac is booted I just have to press the power button and the iMac goes to sleep and the screen stays on. I have this connected to my iMac C2D, I think it looks really cool, and really easy to do.

12. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

If it has a standard VGA connection, then I see no reason why you couldn't stick a mini inside one, you could even use the Mini's disk drive if you had a slot loading model...

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Maybe you can at least put a KVM inside the box and then you'll have a Bondi that can control the C2D. :)

14. Spock thread starter macrumors 68000

Spock

Like I said it is not a standard VGA connection but its close, I have yet to figure out how to get the screen to stay on without the connections to the logic board but I really have not tried it much, I have been thinking about getting a G4 Mac Mini logic board just to play with.

Thats a really good idea, I could use it to run OS 9 to make up for the lack of Classic on my Intel iMac.

15. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Some old Mac monitors came with a Mac Display to VGA adapter if for some reason you wanted to hook it up to a PC. I have one somewheres...

16. island macrumors 6502

island