Fastest car I have seen on road in almost 30 years

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 63dot, Jan 19, 2008.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

...so I am driving up the hill from the strip mall on the highway 1 ramp that I have driven up for nearly 3 decades and I am with a BMW M3 at the stop light

...when it turns green we make the 200-300 yard entrance onto a highway on ramp, and he pulls ahead at a great clip unlike any car I have ever seen going uphill onto the long highway stretch

...before I know it, he accelerates to 70+ mph in a very short period of time and enters the long stretch of highway

...usually fast cars don't take the entire hill and get out of the sight of horizon before I enter the same stretch of freeway on the on ramp

...but this car, rated #6 as a top performing sports car by a major car enthusiast magazine, disappears over the horizon unlike any normal looking sedan I have ever seen anytime in nearly 30 years of driving

...what made me aware of the car besides its Firebird or Porsche type speed, was it's low key appearance of a family sedan and the fact that it had a 12 year old looking boy driving it who was undoubtedly around 16 or 17 years old

...while I was outraged at the drag racing style that the boy took off at, I was also similarly impressed at such a normal looking car performing in such a way I have never seen in all my years of driving

Share your stories of unusual hot rod cars.

2. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

Well... it wasn't an unusual hotrod, but was a rare occurrence. I was beside/behind a Lamborghini one day, but unfortunately we were in a tight neighborhood area, so I didn't get to see him do anything crazy. Still very cool though!

3. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

The Germans are very good at making very quick understated cars.

Just look at the Audi RS4 or better still the new (soon to be released) Audi RS6 avant, an estate (sorry station-wagon) with a 5.0 V10 bi-turbo

Mercedes Benz have the E 63 AMG with it's 6.2 V8 which you can have as a saloon or estate.

The just for the fun of it, the BMW M5.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I passed some old guy in a Ferrari 360 Modena doing about 45mph on the freeway when there was no traffic whatsoever. What a disgrace to the car.

Some guy who lives near me has a Lambo Gallardo though, and he drives that thing like it's meant to be driven. I've seen it a few times, and if I see it coming, I'll make sure to open my windows, because the noise that engine makes is just beautiful.

And supposedly, there's a Bugatti Veyron sitting in the show room at St. Louis's Bentely/Maserat/Ferrari/Lamborghini/All other expensive cars I'll never be able to own dealership. I'd love to go look, but I don't really think a 21 year old kid who doesn't have enough money to buy a single screw that is used to build that car would be welcome there :D

5. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

wow. that thing is about 1 1/2 seconds faster than the M3 to the 1/4 mile (assuming that the race on the video was over 1/4 mile). And no I didn't time it, there is another video of it and that one shows a time of 12.1.

6. Greasyman macrumors member

There's a guy who drives an M3 who shows up at some of the autocrosses I go to who often sets fast time of the day over supercharged Miatas, Stis, Evos and other very fast cars. I'm sure he's also a very good driver, it can't be all because of the car. When he doesn't set it a kid in a modded Z3 M Roadster often does. BMWs go good.

7. silbeej macrumors 6502a

Why oh why do German's hate us in the states so much. You better ship one of those over here for me, or i might cry. Even as an almost 20 year old, i can not get enough of Audi avants, not sure why, but they just look bad ass, and especially with the RS6, will destroy almost anything.

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I once overtook a Zonda (7 litre hypercar). It was down a local road which had seep bumps on it and they guy driving it was doing 10 mph. He looked very embrassed when a Renault 5 wizzed passed him.

9. bartelby macrumors Core

Nice!

I regularly over take Aston Martin DB9s, a Lambo Mercielago and a Bentley Continental on the A449 near me. I'm in a 1.2 Stilo!

10. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Wish I had the £75,000 the RS6 Avant is going to cost, sure my dog would love it in the back

Surprised he could get over the speed bumps.

Not sure which part of the A449 you are talking about, but the part that runs about 1/2 mile from my house seems to have a speed limit of 20mph or so the people using seem to think.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My bro did some work on the Melling Hellcat. It was a bit fast on the test track.

12. iCube macrumors 6502

The 94-98 Mark IV Toyota Supra!

The 94-98 Toyota Supra was a rear wheel drive, straight six cylinder twin turbo 320HP factory sports car. Tuners have been pulling the twin turbos and adding a giant single turbo. Toyota over-engineered the bottom end of the motor and people are achieving 1000HP with stock bottom ends. Some Supras put out over 1600HP!! On the drag strip, Supras are in the 8 sec range in the 1/4 mile, with a full body race car! I was on the highway late one night with a friend and a Supra with 800HP caught up to us on our Sport bikes and passed us and we could not keep up. I know that Supra was pushing 190+mph.
    Check out the Supra Ryan Woon races. http://www.wotm.com
    Also check out Ryan in action!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M0dhmVADg0
    Check out this Supra drifting! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcHTqjal2nU

Attached Files:

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Beating a Ferrari on a push bike is even more fun :p. I did this through central Leamington.

14. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I dunno, push bike verses renault 5 too close to call :D

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

A renault 5, does have an engine though ;).

16. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

<3 *swoon* I <3 <3 <3 the Audi wagons. I always say, if I ever end up a soccer mom, no minivan for me. A monster of a wagon for me. drool.gif

You read my mind. As I watched, I was thinking, "If this clip doesn't show the 1/4 mile time I'm not interested." :D

Sigh. Lovely looking cars. Never drove or been in one myself. But along one of the most gorgeous and scenic highways on the coast, Highway 1, I've seen an entire Supra club roar past. At least 12 of them and none of them going all that slowly. ;)

17. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502