Fastest "Connection" Protocol between Macs?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dsa420, Aug 21, 2010.

1. dsa420 macrumors 6502

Looking for the fastest and best protocol for establishing a connection between my Mac Mini and Mac Pro.

The Mac Pro has a bunch of drives (10 in total) connected both internally and via a RAID card. I have a Mac Mini located in my bedroom (the other side of my house from where the desktop is located) connected to my TV.

The entire network is "hardwired", NOT using wireless at all. I have never been happy with the seemingly unstable connection that exists by connecting the two machine via finder (connect as).

Is there a faster and more permanent connection I can make between these two machines keeping in mind they are on other sides of the house?

Thanks

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Seeing the Mac mini isn't upgradeable (in terms of internal components), I think you're stuck with Gigabit Ethernet; if you had 2 Mac Pros, I would have suggested 10Gb Fiber.

3. studiox macrumors regular

4. cutterman macrumors regular

What problem are you having with the connection? I get reliable throughput of 40-60MB/s with macs and PC's on a gigabit backbone.

5. Fast Shadow macrumors 6502a

CAT6 crossover cable directly connected between the Mini and the MP would be fastest.

6. Ryan P macrumors regular

I've been thinking of doing this between my MBP and MP. Any advice on how to configure the networking? I would have both getting internet via Airport.

7. CharlesAngus macrumors newbie

I'm not sure of the terminology, but the key is having different IP ranges for your different protocols.

EG. I have my MP hooked to the network via 100Mb Ethernet, and that ethernet port has the IP 192.168.0.112 on that network.

It's also hooked by GigE to an iMac. The ethernet port that is hooked to the iMac has the IP 10.0.0.1. The iMac is 10.0.0.2.

So, to get to the MP from the network, you go to 192.168.0.112, and from the iMac you go to 10.0.0.1. This makes sure the traffic you want to be going fast goes across the GigE.

It's basically that simple.

8. dsa420 thread starter macrumors 6502

Brilliant, I will give it a try. Would it also make sense to connect the mini directly to the MP via ethernet rather than via the hub?

9. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

If you still have a hub, you want to exchange it in favor of a 10/100/1000MBit/s switch.

Actually, this all seems to much confusion to me:
    You got some kind of Router, which provides the WiFi, right? It's got 4 Ethernet-bushes (AKA an integrated switch), right? Turn off your AirPorts and hook up a cable from each machine to the Router, and you're done.
    In the worst case scenario, you'll be connected via 100MBit/s to the Router on both machines. If so, get a $25 5-Port 10/100/1000MBit/s switch, hook it up to each machine and the router, and you're fine on your 1GBit/s network with internet connection.

Or just get an AirPort Extreme.

10. analogkid macrumors regular

Just wanted to mention you don't need crossover cables with modern macs, a normal cable will do and the ports will auto configure.

11. strausd macrumors 68030

I have an ethernet cable connecting my MP and MBP. When the MBP is connected to the ethernet I turn airport off and share internet access to my MP through the sharing preferences.

12. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I use the spare ethernet jack to plug my MBP pro into my MP for time machine backups. Only thing is I have to turn off the wireless or it diverts to wireless.

13. dsa420 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you all for the feedback. I ran a line directly from the Mac Mini into the 2nd ethernet in on the MP and it seems to have made all the difference in the world.

Do I still need to "connect as" in finder to access files or are the machines assumed to be "tethered"?

Thanks again, I am so psyched.

14. skiffx macrumors 6502a

So you had one ethernet cable connecting 2 machines machines and now youve simply added a second cable connection? What difference did it make?

15. dsa420 thread starter macrumors 6502

No.... Basically as opposed to the Mac mini connecting to the MAc pro via airport extreme (it was connected via Ethernet to airport extreme), the ethernet connection is directly into the Mac pro's 2nd Ethernet port.

16. skiffx macrumors 6502a

I see, and what did that change ?

17. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

I guess he has an early-2007 AirPort Extreme with 100Base-T ports.

18. dsa420 thread starter macrumors 6502

nope, both one Airport extreme is the newest model and the other is the 2nd to newest

19. skiffx macrumors 6502a

So the speed should remain the same whether directly connected via a crossover or through an AE...

Do you still have to connect to that machine or just always present in the Finder?

20. Ryan P macrumors regular

I'd be interested in seeing a file copy benchmark of that. I know that wasn't always the case but it may be the case now. For me though my AirPort extreme is about 20 meters away and from my MBP and MP and that is why I would like to use a crossover cable between them.