Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mojer

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2011
I use Google Docs and Google Sheets quite a bit. I’m currently looking into getting a MBA with the new M1 chip. What would be the quickest and/or easiest way to access Google Docs or a list of all of my Google sheets? Is it possible to avoid opening a browser and going through Google Drive? Thank you!

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
Google Drive Backup & sync & Google Drive File Stream is Intel only so setting up Google Drive on your M1 Mac is not ready yet. There is a beta for Google Drive File Stream but installation involves booting in recovery mode to switch off security then another couple of reboots. Google Drive is definitely not ready for prime time on Mac M1.

Mojer

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Google Drive Backup & sync & Google Drive File Stream is Intel only so setting up Google Drive on your M1 Mac is not ready yet. There is a beta for Google Drive File Stream but installation involves booting in recovery mode to switch off security then another couple of reboots. Google Drive is definitely not ready for prime time on Mac M1.
Thanks…..sounds like the only way to access Google Sheets, Google Docs, etc is via the browser at this time then?

stumblingfalk

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2021

Well the backup and sync app runs just fine tho through rosetta on M1, no issues that I've found. Works pretty much the same as on win.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
Simplest solution: ‘pin’ the Google Docs webpage in Safari.

Google want all their services to be run as much in a browser as possible, so you’re going to find it difficult to find any decent offline/local solutions. In fairness however, the pages don’t use up too many resources.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.