Fastest/Easiest Way to Back Up iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JordanLB23, Dec 29, 2015.

1. JordanLB23 macrumors regular

Long story short I haven't really plugged in my iphone into my mbpr for any updates in a very long time.

Part of this is I lost a bit of my music and I didn't want to sync my iphone to my itunes and then have the songs wiped from my iphone.

I will be getting a new iphone 6 soon and was wondering what would be the easiest way to back up everything on my previous iphone?

I am assuming it's the same method of plugging it in and clicking back up in itunes?

Would just like to make sure.

Thanks and happy holidays.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

You can use the cloud but doing an encrypted iTunes backup is still the gold standard. It will not back up music that you do not own.

3. JordanLB23 thread starter macrumors regular

Silly question but I am on IOS 7.1, if I update my iphone to 9 or whatever it is NOT going to instantly delete apps/music/photos right? It will simply update the system?

4. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

That is correct. You still should do a backup just in case but if all goes well it is just an update. Keep it plugged in during the update as the update uses a lot of power.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Fastest, plug it to iTunes and back it up.
    Easiest, probably via iCloud but takes way longer.

6. JordanLB23 thread starter macrumors regular

I backed up my iphone through itunes, but I am trying to back up through icloud.

It says my iphone has never been backed up by icloud, but I have backed it up a bunch of times through iTunes?

Do I need ios9 in order to back up via icloud?

Like I clearly backed it up a bunch of times, and it even said backing up with the loading bar, but then underneath it says this device has never been backed up by icloud.

So I am just confused. I'm assuming I currently only backed it up through iTunes? If so where is the backed up data?

Thanks guys.

7. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I've been a bit confused about this for some time. What exactly are the differences between an iCloud backup and an unencrypted iTunes backup?

8. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204136

9. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Not a silly question. It should do noting to your data. That being said it is always wise to make a backup before you do something as critical as updating you OS. Like other have said a backup is always a good idea.