fastest external HD connection speed possible in Macbookpro?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by uaecasher, Apr 14, 2009.

1. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

hello,

i want to buy an external HD and i was wondering what is the fastest connection speed i.e (Firewire 400/800, USB or eSATA or other things i don't know)

thank you

2. rhyx macrumors 6502

eSATA through Expresscard slot would be the fastest I believe.

Next best is Firewire 800.

3. uaecasher thread starter macrumors 65816

uaecasher

where can i buy the adapter for eSATA though express card? and what HD brand you recommend me?

4. rhyx macrumors 6502

5. lotuselite macrumors newbie

I have an Apiotek express card. It is called E-Sata II 300. I got it from OWC.
    If I hot connect it to my Western Digital MyBooks it works fine however if I let the MBP sleep when I try to wake it up it hangs and i end up having to recycle the card out to get the computer to wake up and then re-insert the card.
    Trying to start the computer with the card in ends up in a hung up start.
    I talked to OWC and they referred me to a new driver from Apiotek but I still have the aforementioned problems.
    It is a pity as the performance with the E-Sata connection is very good.

In my Googling I came across some sort of info about two different types of Express card design one of which was the way to go but it became a bit too technical for me.
    I did hear that it was possible that the computer was trying to boot from the fastest source and I went into preferences and specified the internal HD as the boot volume but still no luck.
    I imagine I am doing something wrong but I have reverted to the FW800 connection and given up on the E-Sata connection.
    Hope you have better luck than I did.