Fastest HDD 15" 2016 or 15 2017 ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hitrate, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Hitrate macrumors 6502

Hitrate

Could someone elaborate on this:

Are there inconsistencies in the rew and write speeds of various same spec'ed 2017 models?

Are the 2016 fastest (as the first test in the video claims) or are the 2017 fastest (as the last test in the video claims...but leaves out the same test on his 2016 for some reason....)

Basically I've come to the conclusion, that I'd be best off with getting a macbook pro with the fastest hdd available...

2. jerryk macrumors 601

SSD performance is often a function of size. Bigger size mean more parallel read/writes since there are more memory modules to write to.

But in usage they are all really fast compared to human perception. I would get the size that meets your needs and budget, and enjoy the machine.

3. Hitrate, Mar 30, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018

Hitrate thread starter macrumors 6502

Hitrate

Yes i know...a 2tb would outperform a 500gb... Assuming both are the same size I still need my question answered ;)

Thing is, I could either go used cheese grater, save up for a used 2015/16/17 15" or a used cylinder mac pro.. I'd prefer the laptop option, due to portability and all in one design. But means I can not go above 3.1 ghz 16gb ram...So the only last thing to look at is how fast the over all system runs. How fast can it load huge sample libraries, quickly load a sample, do fast round trip latency with a new thunderbolt 2 audio interface..that sort of thing. So I guess that means I need to look at first: which has the fastest harddrive, and secondarily (since I also wanna do video editing, but don't have strickt 4k policy and could do with 1080p footage and editing) the gpu. Side note, apparently the Ableton Push 2 (I know, this is a bit out of macrumors territory, but there might be other users reading) use gpu power from the laptop to run it's fancy display. I currently have a Push 1 with older display, so I don't know if ther's a difference in how much each draws (?) that's a usb 2 device, so there might not be any difference...I also run external monitor, and would like to run multiple external monitors in the home studio - I've seen youtube video tests where they claim the 2016/2017 model doesn't speed up the fan when doing 4k external monitoring, but the 2015 does... It's these kinds of things I'd like to know more about. Unfortunately most tests are related to video and stuff, but at least I can use the test numbers and try and make up my mind :)

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP:

What are you going to be doing with the new MBP?

Unless you intend to do very heavy-duty tasks (I'm thinking of lots of 4k video editing), I don't believe you'd notice a perceptible difference between ANY of the speeds of the SSDs used in the current MBP lineup.

Yes, you can measure the speed differences with software.
    But "discern them from the user's perspective"?
    Far less likely, if at all.

5. smbu2000 macrumors regular

Well I can't comment on the 2017 model as I don't have. I just tested my 2016 model (15"/2.7/16GB/512GB; same as the guy in the video) and I usually got between 1700 - 1900 MB/s Write and 2500 - 2700 MB/s Read. Fairly similar to his numbers (1740/2400 on the same spec 2016 machine). Each time it varied with some being higher and some lower. Min was about 1700/2070 and Max was 1996/2871 I believe letting it run for a bit.

I have about 300GB of space used, not sure how that affects the test.