Fastest HDD for macbook pro Optibay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skasol, Feb 22, 2012.

1. skasol macrumors 6502

I was going to go ahead and add a second SSD for my optibay and compliment my 256SSD apple. instead due to storage constrains I want to go ahead and add the fastest and largest SATA HDD on my optibay.

Thank you for your help.

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Fastest and largest as in like "2.5in 1TB 7200rpm" drive?

3. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Find the biggest WD Scorpio Black or Seagate Momentus XT you can.

4. skasol thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah.

----------

It has to be SATA correct? What else am I looking for? Dp u have a link of the one u recommend? Thanks.

5. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

I believe that would be a 750gb 7200rpm HDD, the 1Tb ones are slightly slower at 5400rpm

6. skasol thread starter macrumors 6502

any recommendations?

7. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

Western Digital Scorpio Black is pretty good.

8. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Yes, it must be SATA, but the models I mentioned don't come in anything but SATA. Look on Newegg.com. Just find the biggest capacity for one of those models.

9. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Just saying it makes very little sense to go fastest here.

Go highest density and get a 1TB 5400rpm one.
    You will likely only put backups, movies, music, images and well big files on there. Thus all that matters is sequential speed and the a 5400rpm of the highes density is so little slower than a 7200rpm 750GB WD Black that you would never notice the difference. Not if you had just two of otherwise the same notebooks with those data drives if front of you and did normal stuff. Without actual benchmarking you'd have difficulty figuring out which is which. Considering how much slower HDDs get on the inner tracks after a certain amount of the data saved on it it is better to setup your partitions intelligently rather than go for the fastest drive possible. If you need faster speed for some stuff than make a partition at the beginning of the drive and save unimportant backups and stuff on a partition at the end of the drive.

The fastest possible which would be a WD Black or a Momentus XT just makes no sense in that setup. Those disks are reasonable if they are used as system disks, or for higher IO workloads not for the stuff people use it if they already have a 256GB SSD.
    You'd just have a more noise HDD that sucks more power and is expensive for really nothing in return. Sorry it is just stupid to pair a WD black with an SSD.

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

the samsung spinpoint 1TB @ 5400 is plenty fast

11. skasol thread starter macrumors 6502

sounds like I may need to go with a second SSD. I moved most of my libraries to external G-Drive ( now I wished I would've bought the raid Edition) so I free up about 100GB of space and now I have available 160GB. so I have time to consider either going with the SSD or the HD. I really don't want more noise on my computer or for it to drain the battery any faster.

Thank you for all your input.

on another note firewire 800 flies. I wonder what Thunderbolt drive would've felt like.

12. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

I just put in a second SSD, got the 240 OCW SSD with the datadoubler and superdrive enclosure for a little over $400 bucks.. Now got bootcamp on my 240, and MacOS on my 256SSD.

13. skasol thread starter macrumors 6502

That's similar to what I was thinking of doing. Have u noticed any issues with it?

What tool do I need to replace the optical drive. What screw driver?

I moved my iTunes library and iPhone library to an external FireWire drive G-Drive. I was able to free up some space.

14. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

Nope works like a champ. The datadoubler (the SSD Enclosure) comes with all the screwdrivers as well. You can find it cheaper on Amazon or somewhere else too; here's what I purchased though.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DDMBS6X240/

Superdrive enclosure to make it a external drive once you remove it.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/VLSS9TOPTU2/

Only issues I had was reinstalling bootcamp, I had to remove my mac drive and put the Superdrive back in, after the first reboot on bootcamp so I could install bootcamp and windows on the new drive, after installation of windows and I was up and running in Windows, I removed my Superdrive again and put the original Mac drive where the Superdrive was..