Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Fastest iOS version for iPad Mini 1?

sgtaylor5

Contributor
Original poster
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
I found this website;

https://www.redmondpie.com/downgrad...-on-any-32-bit-device-and-untether-jailbreak/

and it gives me some hope that I might be able to downgrade my iPad mini 1 running 9.3.5. I’ve destroyed some Android phones in the past working with firmware and so I want to be more careful this time.

Question: Which version of iOS runs fastest on an iPad mini 1? If the software as it improved did not make the hardware run slower, then I shouldn’t downgrade. But, if the iPad did get slower, then I might try.

Thank you for your responses.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I found this website;

https://www.redmondpie.com/downgrad...-on-any-32-bit-device-and-untether-jailbreak/

and it gives me some hope that I might be able to downgrade my iPad mini 1 running 9.3.5. I’ve destroyed some Android phones in the past working with firmware and so I want to be more careful this time.

Question: Which version of iOS runs fastest on an iPad mini 1? If the software as it improved did not make the hardware run slower, then I shouldn’t downgrade. But, if the iPad did get slower, then I might try.

Thank you for your responses.

IMHO, the 9.3.5 isn't THAT bad on the iPad 2, despite the initial (indexing-caused) slowdown.

Comment

sgtaylor5

Contributor
Original poster
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
Didn’t work for me. But it looks like it might have promise for other people. The product version number seems to be the problem and I can’t find the correct one and I’m not going to worry about it.

EDIT: had a revelation last night: I turned off every notification and just about every app I can think of in Settings setting it up for the third time. ** iPad Mini 1 hasn’t slowed down yet, I thought **. And then I realized that I hadn’t installed Bear nor Tweetbot and they both use a lot of Internet.

Well...

So if I use my iPad Mini 1 as a static consumption device for books, downloaded music and my Bible software; I’m fine. The moment I start using Internet-based apps, I’m sunk.

Last edited:
Comment

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
My Mini 1 still has iOS6. Works great although some web sites can be buggy. Have tried Puffin, Chrome, Dolphin.

Searching here users say 8 is slower than 6.

The check for update says iOS8 is available rather than 9. Perhaps it has to install 8 first than 9 becomes an option?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.