Fastest matched pair of 2GB RAM for a Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Exodemia, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Exodemia macrumors regular

What is the fastest matched pair of 2GB RAM for a Macbook available to buy? Does anyone know what's the best?

2. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

I don't understand if you're looking for 2x1GB or 2x2GB, but IIRC won't the Macbook will top out at 3.3GB?

However, I don't know the answer about what's fastest but I suspect you'll never notice any difference with any brand named memory (i.e., Crucial, Mushkin, etc.)

3. Exodemia thread starter macrumors regular

Well I'm looking at 2 x 1GB. I have a Core 2 Duo MacBook, will that take 3.3GB?

4. Evangelion macrumors 68040

The difference in speed of the RAM would offer you neglible benefits (maybe 2-3%), so why waste your time hunting for the "fastest" RAM?

5. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

...if even that much, since the bus speed is probably the main limiting factor.

You are right, it is the amount of RAM, not its speed, that will most significantly impact the end-user experience. 3 GB of standard RAM will be much faster than 2 GB of "fast RAM" for most applications.

6. Exodemia thread starter macrumors regular

Ok well I didn't realise this as I was under the assumption it did matter when people go for like OCZ and Corsair over cheaper stuff.

7. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I think a lot of people go for the branded stuff because the companies that sell them usually have better i) reputations, ii) customer service and satisfaction, and iii) warranty and return policies.