Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Speedtoy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I have a nice, to me, Mac Pro 2,1.

Id like to give it a boost..can I replace the 677Mhz ram with 800Mhz?

Im not sure what the fastest RAM the system can support/use well.

Thanks!

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
You can try but unlike a PC, the Mac doesn't make uses of them, you can't just clock the RAM. And on some systems, having faster RAM can make the system slightly more unstable.

Speedtoy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
You can try but unlike a PC, the Mac doesn't make uses of them, you can't just clock the RAM. And on some systems, having faster RAM can make the system slightly more unstable.
---
I understand that, but ive read in some sources, that I could make use of 800Mhz stuffs, thats all.

Im good with what ive got, if that's the best it can be.

Next hack..is to get a 64bit Windows in boot camp. Probly wait for Windows7 to release instead of using Vista.

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
No, your Mac can not support faster RAM.

And getting Win 64 to work in BC does not require any hack, it is just plug n play.

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
Both Vista 64 and Win7-64 run nicely on a MP2,1. I'm assuming the 2,1 refers to the 2007 3,0 GHz Clovertown Octad.

The EFI32 can make problems with some 64-bit distributions though. If the DVD contains anytime upgrade multiple versions the 32-bit bootloader can stall on those. In that case you may have to use a tool like vLite to single out an image. Downloaded versions of Win7-RC1 may not have that problem as far as I'm aware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.