Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dude2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2010
I'm having a MBP 2.2 i7, 8 gig RAM, manufactured next week, it ships with the 7200 rpm drive. I want the fastest possible SDD drive in it, but a few of them say that their brand are the fastest in the 240GB range. So please help.

Being a photographer, I will be working mainly with Lightroom and Photoshop with files ranging from 500-1500 Mb.

Looked at the OWC mercury EXTREME..

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
The SF-2200 controllers are the fastest. It doesn't have to be OCZ though. There are a few others with the same controller and they aren't any slower(or faster).
Those and OWC should offer some too. There is no OWC in Europe thus it is not in this selection.

dude2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2010
The SF-2200 controllers are the fastest. It doesn't have to be OCZ though. There are a few others with the same controller and they aren't any slower(or faster).
Those and OWC should offer some too. There is no OWC in Europe thus it is not in this selection.

Didn't the SF-2200 have a mayor issue?

No one is for the OWC?

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
Didn't the SF-2200 have a mayor issue?

No one is for the OWC?

I haven't used an OWC SSD but I always have liked their products and buy from them quite often. I'm sure if you get one it will live up to your expectations.

dude2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2010
Who knows if this curve, posted on their site, has anything to it, in real life?

chart.gif

----------

It's definitely the Kingston drive.

Kingston, didn't see that one comming. Ok - why?

2hvy4grvty

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
Yes, it refers to the deteriorating performance of Vertex drives.

Too bad it doesn't affect Samsung, Intel, and Crucial, the main drives being purchased nowadays.

In any case, that graph is greatly exaggerated, notice the lack of units on the x-axis... because they have no idea what they're talking about.

Because the Kingston drive IS the fastest? Pulling slightly higher all around performance than even the Vertex 3 Maxiops.

dsio

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Australia
Yes, it refers to the deteriorating performance of Vertex drives.

Too bad it doesn't affect Samsung, Intel, and Crucial, the main drives being purchased nowadays.

In any case, that graph is greatly exaggerated, notice the lack of units on the x-axis... because they have no idea what they're talking about.

Because the Kingston drive IS the fastest? Pulling slightly higher all around performance than even the Vertex 3 Maxiops.

Or... it isn't... its just another Sandforce drive, review site A says its 0.2% faster than the Vertex 3, review site B says its 0.3% slower, etc

As for the deteriorating performance of Vertex drives, honestly you know not of what you speak.

2hvy4grvty

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
Don't be angry. No need to justify your own purchase. If you have no problems with the V3, that's fine, good for you. But no need to distort reality.

SF drives are also unreliable.

dsio

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Australia
Don't be angry. No need to justify your own purchase. If you have no problems with the V3, that's fine, good for you. But no need to distort reality.

SF drives are also unreliable.

Yea, you seem to be still stuck on that speaking not of what you know thing...

dude2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2010
Or... it isn't... its just another Sandforce drive, review site A says its 0.2% faster than the Vertex 3, review site B says its 0.3% slower, etc

As for the deteriorating performance of Vertex drives, honestly you know not of what you speak.

EVERYONE MAN YOU BATTLESTATIONS :D

-So as I get it - it really doesn't matter what brand, just one of the newest ones?

2hvy4grvty

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
If you mean benchmarks, then yeah, more or less.

If you considering an actual purchase, stick to the tried and true Samsung/Intel/Crucial.

dsio

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Australia
EVERYONE MAN YOU BATTLESTATIONS :D

-So as I get it - it really doesn't matter what brand, just one of the newest ones?

Yea pretty much, whether you get the Kingston, OCZ, OWC, Patriot, or whatever you'll get the same performance within a very small percentage, the Vertex 3 non Max IOPS is not the best model but the normal 240GB and 120/240 max iops model, or any brand equivalents are all great and you don't have to worry about about degradation on those.

The vast majority of failures are a result of idiot user-error, if you do end up with a V3, don't go trying to update the firmware for no reason, that goes for all the brands. Similarly don't run it in an unpowered USB enclosure.

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
Honestly there's not much a difference between the brands, you should be fine with whatever one you pick

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
Who knows if this curve, posted on their site, has anything to it, in real life?

----------

Kingston, didn't see that one comming. Ok - why?

That refers to OWC's use of TRIM + garbage collection which all modern SSDs use. Other brands might not be as aggressive with the GC but the orange line seems like a worse case scenario kinda thing. Notice how there are no numbers, it's a qualitative measurement rather than quantitative.

dude2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2010
Yea pretty m...Similarly don't run it in an unpowered USB enclosure. .

What happens if.. alright it ****s up I got that part - but why? A lot of firms sell a no-power enclosure with their SSDs?!??

dsio

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Australia
What happens if.. alright it ****s up I got that part - but why? A lot of firms sell a no-power enclosure with their SSDs?!??

Could be a number of things, you have to realize that the circuits used in most external enclosures are about a 50 cent job from China, the unpowered ones serve two purposes, one is they power the drive, two is they provide a USB backend to a SATA controller. SATA as the name suggests is a serial connection standard, and as a result devices that communicate over it have to adhere to strict and specific timing specifications. The controllers in the MBP are made by Intel to a high standard. What you get out of a sweat shop doesn't necessarily meet those standards. SSDs also tend to be even less forgiving than platter disks in this respect.

BTW when you say a lot of firms, are you talking about OWC? I've got one of their silver unpowered ones with the blue light on the top, and its about at the bottom of the barrel, frankly I feel ripped off for paying more than $5 for it.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
[open thread]

working as photographer = protecting your content = reliability >> speed

I believe the Samsung drives are generally accepted as being extremely reliable.

SSD is already very fast and the Samsung is no slouch

The SSD won't be the bottleneck in PP

[/end thread]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.