Fastest way to delete itunes library?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by troubleonline, Oct 31, 2013.

1. troubleonline macrumors 6502a

troubleonline

I recently (successfully) transferred/copied my iTunes library from my macbook to my iMac. I now want to delete my music and itunes library from the macbook to free up space and hopefully speed up my macbook.

What is the quickest, best way to do this?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It depends on how your iTunes library is configured. If you're letting iTunes manage the library, you can simply select everything in the library and delete it. iTunes will ask if you want to delete the files. However, that won't delete all the folders that those files were in. Look for the location of your iTunes Media folder in iTunes Preferences, then locate that folder in Finder and delete it. Also delete the iTunes library file.

Be aware, however, that simply deleting files and freeing up space on your drive will not make your Mac faster, unless you were almost out of space. Having things stored on your drive does not impact performance. If you're having performance issues, this may help:

3. troubleonline thread starter macrumors 6502a

troubleonline

Thanks - I'll give this a go tomorrow.

Yes I am almost out of space. My macbook is choc full of photos and music. :rolleyes: