Fastest way to use the iUP on Apple Store app? (UK)

QuiteGrumpy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2016
South England
I’m guessing little decisions or hesitations in the ordering process will make a big difference to the chances of being fast enough to get an X on launch day.

Related to this, my puzzle is:

Is it better to go through the iUP eligibility check process, which identifies you as an iUP customer and takes you to a screen that gives you a choice of upgrading to an 8 or a X?

Or is it faster/better just to go through the standard ‘choose my phone and reserve for pick up in store’ route?

(UK customers have to go into a store)

The second way will probably be quicker so getting the order in faster. But could there be some benefits to the first way? For example by using a route specifically for iUP customers might there be some slight preferential treatment by the system? I’m thinking simply because Apple will want to keep iUP customers (which means the system has to work well for them) and will want them to be eligible for upgrade next year at the right point in the cycle, so the system might work as smoothly as possible via this route?

It’s possible I’m really over thinking this!

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I’m guessing little decisions or hesitations in the ordering process will make a big difference to the chances of being fast enough to get an X on launch day.

Related to this, my puzzle is:

Is it better to go through the iUP eligibility check process, which identifies you as an iUP customer and takes you to a screen that gives you a choice of upgrading to an 8 or a X?

Or is it faster/better just to go through the standard ‘choose my phone and reserve for pick up in store’ route?

(UK customers have to go into a store)

The second way will probably be quicker so getting the order in faster. But could there be some benefits to the first way? For example by using a route specifically for iUP customers might there be some slight preferential treatment by the system? I’m thinking simply because Apple will want to keep iUP customers (which means the system has to work well for them) and will want them to be eligible for upgrade next year at the right point in the cycle, so the system might work as smoothly as possible via this route?

It’s possible I’m really over thinking this!
Well there’s rumours that all instore stock will be saved for IUP compared to those who buy outright for in store pickup

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Would be great if true, but what’s the source of that rumour?
The back-end of the reservations site is showing that there are separate availabilities for first time iUP-ers and for people who are already on iUP and want to upgrade. A logical conclusion from that is that Apple wants to ensure some amount of stock is earmarked for upgraders.

haqsha23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2017
Mississauga
The back-end of the reservations site is showing that there are separate availabilities for first time iUP-ers and for people who are already on iUP and want to upgrade. A logical conclusion from that is that Apple wants to ensure some amount of stock is earmarked for upgraders.
Some yes, but not all as the above poster mentioned. That wouldn't make sense as it gives a distinct advantage to those who participate in the upgrade program versus those who are willing to pay full retail price for the device.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Some yes, but not all as the above poster mentioned. That wouldn't make sense as it gives a distinct advantage to those who participate in the upgrade program versus those who are willing to pay full retail price for the device.
I personally think it is very likely that all UK in-store stock will be saved for iUP members on launch day. It is the only way you can buy iUP. The exact same happened last year for the hard to get models.

Either way we are crossing wires here. My post you quoted was in reference to the fact that of iUP stock, it is further sub-allocated between new and upgrading customers.

QuiteGrumpy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2016
South England
I personally think it is very likely that all UK in-store stock will be saved for iUP members on launch day. It is the only way you can buy iUP. The exact same happened last year for the hard to get models.

Either way we are crossing wires here. My post you quoted was in reference to the fact that of iUP stock, it is further sub-allocated between new and upgrading customers.
I’d love for this to be true. Was just listening to a podcast that pointed out that the 6S sold 17 million phones on launch weekend. Apple reportedly have 3 million Xs! Those maths ain’t good!

One puzzle with Apple subdividing between new and upgrading iUP customers as you suggest: last year if you were a new customer, you just reserved a phone and told them you wanted to purchase it with iUP when you collected it. If that’s the same this year then how would they know how you planned to purchase it?

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
I’d love for this to be true. Was just listening to a podcast that pointed out that the 6S sold 17 million phones on launch weekend. Apple reportedly have 3 million Xs! Those maths ain’t good!

One puzzle with Apple subdividing between new and upgrading iUP customers as you suggest: last year if you were a new customer, you just reserved a phone and told them you wanted to purchase it with iUP when you collected it. If that’s the same this year then how would they know how you planned to purchase it?
The reservation system (whereby you reserve without paying anything) has always been intended for people planning on purchasing via the iUP only. It’s just that Apple let you pay outright if you wanted. Note some stores in the US did not allow this last year: if you reserved via the iUP page then you had to sign up to the iUP. We don’t know yet what the policy is this year.

QuiteGrumpy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2016
South England
The reservation system (whereby you reserve without paying anything) has always been intended for people planning on purchasing via the iUP only. It’s just that Apple let you pay outright if you wanted. Note some stores in the US did not allow this last year: if you reserved via the iUP page then you had to sign up to the iUP. We don’t know yet what the policy is this year.
I’m sure last year, when I joined the iUP programme, I simply did a standard ‘reserve for in store pick up’, like you would for any Apple product you want to collect in store, and it wasn’t an ‘iUP page’, I don’t think there was one.

However, your thinking does steer me towards trying my luck via my ‘option 1’ suggestion in my original post - that is to go for the upgrade via the ‘check for eligibility’ iUP process (that takes you through to an iUP reservations page) or, perhaps, when I open the app it will know I’m an iUP customer (as it seems to anyway) and give me a specific ‘upgrade to X via iUP’ option. This thread has therefore helped make my mind up as I hoped it would.