Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
florida
There are plenty of wireless chargers out there which is the fastest way to charge the X? Is it as fast as using 4.8amp usb plug?

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York
There are currently two Apple approved wireless chargers, the Mophie Wireless Charging Base and Belkin Boost Up. Both will support Fast Charging when it's enabled in a later iOS update.

There are other chargers out there as well, some of which also support Fast Charging, but they aren't officially approved.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
When they say "faster wireless charging" they mean at max speeds of 7.5W from the current 4.8W. The regular lightning usb plug that comes with iphones is 5W.
The Ipad chargers are 12W and you can even get faster USBC plugs but not sure if there is that much difference in speeds from 12W to 29W plugs.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/10/12/whats-the-best-qi-wireless-charger-for-iphone-8-and-iphone-x/

I regularly use the Apple 29W USB-C charger with my iPhone 7, it charges fast but not any faster than the normal iPad adapter.
The iPhone 8/+ and X on the other hand do support fast charging from the 29W adapter. So that, while not being wireless will be the fastest way to charge the phone.

As for wireless, it really doesn’t matter if Apple have given their seal of approval to a wireless charger or not. They are using QI, which is itself a standard. So any charger that claims to support the faster rate (when the update hits) will support it.

Though I always recommend staying away from the cheap and cheerful just from a quality standpoint, those from companies like RavPower and Anker will be just fine.

Reactions: Applejuiced

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
I got one from amazon a standard 5w wireless charger since I will only use it over night charging. I don’t think fast charge is worth it at 7.5w lol. You better off using the iPad charger at 12w. I’ve been using that with my 7 and it is more than twice as fast the regular charger iPhone comes with. The Morphie and Belkin at $50 is just not worth it even when iOS is updated with fast charge. There are other fast charge wireless chargers in amazon that cost half of that.

iToph

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
I got me that 5w Belkin wireless charger for 30€ for nighttime charging. So I don’t need that super expensive 15w Belkin thing.

I mainly use wired CarPlay in my car (since dumb audi didn’t manage to get me wireless CarPlay) so its very unlikely that my battery drops <40%. Don’t think that’s good for my battery, but i don’t have a choice.

elbeborandy

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2016
I'm searching for the links about the charger and the USB adapter? I'm new to the theme, so I dont know whats the difference about the iPad wall usb or the USB-C? :$

Could anyone explain to me which is the faster?

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
There are currently two Apple approved wireless chargers, the Mophie Wireless Charging Base and Belkin Boost Up. Both will support Fast Charging when it's enabled in a later iOS update.

There are other chargers out there as well, some of which also support Fast Charging, but they aren't officially approved.

Looking for the officially approved for fast charging label. o_O

Just kidding :rolleyes:
[doublepost=1509444301][/doublepost]
The fastest way to wirelessly charge an iPhone now is also the slowest way - at 5W.

Yep, not good for much other than overnight charging which is the way I charge 90 percent of the time.
[doublepost=1509444644][/doublepost]
I got one from amazon a standard 5w wireless charger since I will only use it over night charging. I don’t think fast charge is worth it at 7.5w lol. You better off using the iPad charger at 12w. I’ve been using that with my 7 and it is more than twice as fast the regular charger iPhone comes with. The Morphie and Belkin at $50 is just not worth it even when iOS is updated with fast charge. There are other fast charge wireless chargers in amazon that cost half of that.

You made a valid point. I got the Spigen Wireless stand for charging overnight.

They make wireless chargers for your car. Who knows when you’re going to fall asleep behind the wheel and will need your charged phone to call 911. :confused:

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I regularly use the Apple 29W USB-C charger with my iPhone 7, it charges fast but not any faster than the normal iPad adapter.
The iPhone 8/+ and X on the other hand do support fast charging from the 29W adapter. So that, while not being wireless will be the fastest way to charge the phone.

Interesting, how much faster do you notice the charge going from a 12W charger to a 29W?
I heard the difference is very minimal.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
Just curious, but what wattage does a computer use? At work I usually have a lightning cable plugged in, and just curious if it would use "fast charging" once enabled by Apple.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Just curious, but what wattage does a computer use? At work I usually have a lightning cable plugged in, and just curious if it would use "fast charging" once enabled by Apple.

When you plug in to a computers USB port its the slowest charge.
5w I believe.
Unless you install a hack on that computer.
ASUS Ai Charger
Asus Ai Charger is a tiny Windows utility that increases power in USB ports so you can charge your Apple devices without problems. It is compatible with all PCs, but its performance is higher with Asus motherboards.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
When you plug in to a computers USB port its the slowest charge.
5w I believe.
Unless you install a hack on that computer.
ASUS Ai Charger
Asus Ai Charger is a tiny Windows utility that increases power in USB ports so you can charge your Apple devices without problems. It is compatible with all PCs, but its performance is higher with Asus motherboards.

Good to know! I have no issues charging at 5W, but I do have a wireless charger en route from Amazon for my desk that is 10W. Personally, it is not a big deal to me at all, when I am in the office I barely ever need a charge, and if I am home I am usually charging it for the night.

I did try charging my 8 in my BMW's wireless charger, and thought it was awesome. I highly doubt it has fast charging, but I will let you guys know once we get the feature enabled!

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Interesting, how much faster do you notice the charge going from a 12W charger to a 29W?
I heard the difference is very minimal.

It’s not the biggest difference in the world, up to about 50-60% it’s quite a bit quicker, but then Apple slows the charge rate down a little.

Overall in a 0-100% race there’s about half an hour’s difference. Not huge but noticeable. The biggest benefit is getting from 0% or low charges state up to around the 50% mark, it’s certainly quicker and can give a much needed boost to get you through the day in a short time if you need it.

Personally though, even though it’s considerably slower, I think the wireless charging will give me better service in the long run. I have one on my desk, on my bedside, in the living room and in my car.

I’m significantly more likely to drop my phone onto the charging pad than I am plugging in a cable in each of those locations. So even though it’s slower, my phone is more likely to stay topped up.

700-Grizz

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
ALASKA
If you look at the Belkin boost up chargers, they (APPLE STORE) have the White (APPLE exclusive) and then the silver/black boost up slated towards samsung models that best buy ect also sell...that looks the exact same. Now if you read the specs the Samsung model (All Q.I) certified, states Fast charging at 15W if your phone supports it, and the Iphone model (white one) only states 7.5W charging, no where does it mention 15W capable like the samsung model. So do we take a chance and get the nice white color one with unknown fast charging or get the other one that clearly states 15W. Here are the links from BELKIN--read each and see what you think!

http://www.belkin.com/us/F7U014/p/P-F7U014/ Samsung

http://www.belkin.com/us/F7U027/p/P-F7U027/ APPLE

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.