Fastest Wireless settings for Time Capsule and MBP penryn?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by marklight, Mar 3, 2008.

1. marklight macrumors 6502

So I'm just wondering what the best wireless settings are to get the best speed between the two. I only use my MBP with my time capsule and it's the only thing using the wireless. I saw that you can set the TC to broadcast only wireless N- and there's a 2.4 and 5 ghz option I believe. I use the TC as a wireless HD and not for Time machine, so I'm just looking for the best setting- thanks for any help.

2. P.B. macrumors member

i have the exact same question:
    my new mbp and time capsule arrived today. how can i get the best performance?

3. PhotoBill macrumors newbie

I'd set it for Draft N ONLY 5Ghz. As long as you don't have any a/b/g devices that need to connect to it, this should give you the fastest throughput.

4. prominence macrumors regular

You should change your signature to say "No more WINDOZE for me" instead of "Windows" :D:D:D

5. err404 macrumors 68020

In my tests of real-world throughput from my AEBS between my MBP and wired desktop PC, I found the following:

2.4ghz b/g/n
    50%-60% saturation of a 100mb connection to a wired machine

5ghz N-only
    75%-85% saturation of a 100mb connection to a wired machine

Wired
    85%-95% saturation of a 100mb connection to a wired machine

Keep in mind your millage will vary. I live in an area that is very congested at 2.4ghz (15 or so in range WiFi routers).
    Personally I usually use 2.4ghz b/g/n for compatibility with my iPhone, but if I am doing anything intensive, like video encoding to a remote drive, I switch to 5ghz or just plug in wired.