Fastest *writing* USB thumb drives?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bigwig, Jul 26, 2010.

1. bigwig macrumors 6502a

I see plenty of reviews regarding "fast" thumb drives, but they're all oriented towards fast reading speed. Since I use my thumb drives for backup, read speeds aren't too important, I rarely need to read from one. Write speeds, on the other hand, are very important. Waiting is bad. So who has blazing *write* speeds for their thumb drives?

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

If you format your thumb drive as HFS+, OS X will write to it MUCH faster than it will write to it if it's formatted as FAT32. Unfortunately you won't be able to read it on a PC, but Apple's implamentation of writing to FAT32 sucks so much, it's a trade off I do, and I have 2 PC's and a single mac.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I've found OCZ to be consistently faster than their competitors (SanDisk, Corsair, Patriot) in both read and write speeds. They're more expensive, but worth it if you want the speed.

4. lOUDsCREAMEr macrumors regular

lOUDsCREAMEr

Mac OSX USB speed sucks if the drive/disk is formatted in fat32 instead of HFS+. Save your $$$, you won't get any faster with a "faster" thumbdrive. Blame Apple :apple:.

5. bigwig thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why is everybody assuming I'm using FAT32? I am in fact using HFSX, but my SanDisk Cruzer is still a dog at writes.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

7. bigwig thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did use Google, or didn't you read the first sentence of my post? The review you cite didn't show up. Plus, the OCZ throttle isn't even being sold anymore as far as I can tell, probably because most people don't care about speed, they care about capacity.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

the next best option would bethe sandisk micro then.

to be more specific - are you after faster read or write speeds, and will you be copying large amounts of data or smaller files?

9. bigwig thread starter macrumors 6502a

Faster write, mostly small files (if 2-300k Pages and Numbers documents are considered small these days).

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ive been unable to find any 256K writes/reads benchmarks but from the previous links the Transcend Jetflash and Kingston DataTraveller seem pretty darn good! better then the SanDisk anyway..

11. esarawilliams macrumors newbie