Fastest *writing* USB thumb drives?

bigwig

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
I see plenty of reviews regarding "fast" thumb drives, but they're all oriented towards fast reading speed. Since I use my thumb drives for backup, read speeds aren't too important, I rarely need to read from one. Write speeds, on the other hand, are very important. Waiting is bad. So who has blazing *write* speeds for their thumb drives?

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
If you format your thumb drive as HFS+, OS X will write to it MUCH faster than it will write to it if it's formatted as FAT32. Unfortunately you won't be able to read it on a PC, but Apple's implamentation of writing to FAT32 sucks so much, it's a trade off I do, and I have 2 PC's and a single mac.

lOUDsCREAMEr

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2006
Safari desert
Mac OSX USB speed sucks if the drive/disk is formatted in fat32 instead of HFS+. Save your $$$, you won't get any faster with a "faster" thumbdrive. Blame Apple :apple:.

bigwig

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
Why is everybody assuming I'm using FAT32? I am in fact using HFSX, but my SanDisk Cruzer is still a dog at writes.

bigwig

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
i cant believe that its so hard to google?
I did use Google, or didn't you read the first sentence of my post? The review you cite didn't show up. Plus, the OCZ throttle isn't even being sold anymore as far as I can tell, probably because most people don't care about speed, they care about capacity.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
Singapore
I did use Google, or didn't you read the first sentence of my post? The review you cite didn't show up. Plus, the OCZ throttle isn't even being sold anymore as far as I can tell, probably because most people don't care about speed, they care about capacity.
the next best option would bethe sandisk micro then.

to be more specific - are you after faster read or write speeds, and will you be copying large amounts of data or smaller files?

bigwig

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
to be more specific - are you after faster read or write speeds, and will you be copying large amounts of data or smaller files?
Faster write, mostly small files (if 2-300k Pages and Numbers documents are considered small these days).

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
Singapore
Faster write, mostly small files (if 2-300k Pages and Numbers documents are considered small these days).
ive been unable to find any 256K writes/reads benchmarks but from the previous links the Transcend Jetflash and Kingston DataTraveller seem pretty darn good! better then the SanDisk anyway..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.