Fastmac blu ray drive doesn't play blu ray :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by imax2k2, Feb 25, 2009.

1. imax2k2 macrumors member

So I a few days back I ordered the new Fast mac blu ray drive, now if I have windows running and with cyberlink power dvd or any windows blu ray playback software I should be able to play back blu ray with my drive. But all of my attempts, air is able to see the data but when I use start using the Cyberlink player it just tells me that the disc in the drive is of unknown format, and doesn't play it.

this is the drive in reference -

http://store.fastmac.com/product_info.php?cPath=10_2_52&products_id=406

I'm almost at a point where I just want to return the drive, any help on this is greatly appreciated.

2. Turmoil macrumors regular

I just have to ask. Did you try PowerDVD as it suggests in the link?

3. imax2k2 thread starter macrumors member

Yep as mentioned in the first post, I have Power Dvd which can play blu ray.

4. Turmoil macrumors regular

dUH! Indeed you did. I think I need that 3rd up of coffee b4 I post.

5. imax2k2 thread starter macrumors member

that was actually what I had read before ordering the drive, now I have a scary thought that the macbook air might now be able to play blu ray at all :eek: .

dont worry, I do that all the time too :p

6. imax2k2 thread starter macrumors member

I finally could make it work, here are some observations -

1.) Only and only the cyberlink powerdvd 8.0 + version works on the air, the older 7.3 doesn't work
    2.) You dont need to have to 2 usb's to play the blu ray drive, I was able to play blu ray being powered with just 1 usb.
    3.) With a full battery charge on my 1.86gbh sata hdd, I was able to play blu ray for 1hr 15mins.

Hope this helps anybody who got this drive.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Which version of PowerDVD 7.x did you use? I have a 7.x Ultra it plays without any issues. I think 7.x Standard/Deluxe only plays DVDs.

8. imax2k2 thread starter macrumors member

I had the one which has blu ray playback capability the ultra, but I could only see a black windows, instead of the movie playing in the player.

9. iann1982 macrumors regular

Just curious as to what sort of CPU usage this needs? Does it offload most of the work to the nvidia GPU? I've got a 1.6 and wondering if it'd make a difference. I take it playback was smooth?

10. imax2k2 thread starter macrumors member

Its a total offload to the gpu, the playback is smooth, but something I noticed was that the notebook gets pretty hot even when it ventilated well. And yes for 260mhz isn't gonna make any difference for any video playback as long as the gpu is taking care of it. :)

11. jdechko macrumors 68040

Power Requirements

So the drive works using only the one usb port -- for blu-ray playback and DVD/CD burning and ripping? I am considering spending the extra money (gone up from the original $99 now :() and getting a drive that isn't locked to a single computer.

Also, playback under bootcamp works well on the Rev B 1.86 Air? Just trying to plan out my future purchase. :)