FastMail Users, Survey & Your Login

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by flyingspur, May 20, 2018.

1. flyingspur macrumors regular

flyingspur

I have been a FastMail user for quiet a while and no problems, satisfied overall.

I found this forum some time ago but have not visited it in a few months. Found this thread
    in the FastMail sub forum that may be of interest to you, if your using FastMail for sure.

I did not receive the survey, did you?

2. flyingspur thread starter macrumors regular

flyingspur

Everybody quit FastMail? Don't care? :)

Did a bit more digging, out of concern, on Hacker News and found this here. :eek:

3. BigMcGuire, May 31, 2018
    Last edited: May 31, 2018

BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

FastMail user here - really happy with the service so far. This is news to me. I never got a survey - took me a bit to read the entire thread. Interesting, interesting.

My response to first forum link (survey)? Eh. I'm not bothered at all by this. I would not like it if my email was given out but to a survey company? This stuff happens all the time everywhere... I'm not a huge fan of surveys so I frown on what has happened but is it going to change anything for me? No.

------

Your second link? Damn! Well that's much more disconcerting! Holey crap. I have 2 factor authentication so I don't think I'd be affected but ... damn. At least they owned up to it and responded. The response here: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=15859024

------

My response to second link? Looks like they've taken steps to fix this. I'm mildly bothered by this. 2 Factor Authentication is a MUST. I've been really happy with FastMail - will continue to use it. I'm moving more and more of my email to it too. I use my domain with it and various other things. Humans are DEFINITELY the weak link.

4. flyingspur thread starter macrumors regular

flyingspur

@BigMcGuire I'm ok with my domains at FM still. I was just concerned, since they were all about privacy and no
    scanning for ads, etc. So this got me a little ruffled up. I have 2FA on everything that offers it. I'm glad they
    owned up after a bit of skirting around. My eye's are watching though. Thanks for your thoughts!

5. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Agreed. I am not comforted by all of this. I chose FastMail because it seemed to be super privacy but everyone is human I guess. :( Glad to see another 2FA user. I can't believe how many people don't do this. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!