Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JumperSK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2014
Hello guys,

I've just noticed that my old usb stick formatted by FAT32 file system is not visible in finder, but it is in Disk Utility. Strange is, that I've tried to format another HDD with MS-DOS(FAT) file system with Disk Utility and it worked, disk is formatted, but again not visible in finder.
Can somebody please try it if it's only my problem or general,because it worked before in previous os mavericks.

Thanks a lot

GrumpyTrucker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2014
Just reformatted a 64GB USB MS-DOS (FAT) in Disk Utility and it's mounted on the desktop and is listed in the Finder Sidebar under Devices.

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
Hello guys,

I've just noticed that my old usb stick formatted by FAT32 file system is not visible in finder, but it is in Disk Utility. Strange is, that I've tried to format another HDD with MS-DOS(FAT) file system with Disk Utility and it worked, disk is formatted, but again not visible in finder.
Can somebody please try it if it's only my problem or general,because it worked before in previous os mavericks.

Thanks a lot

Do you have Finder set to display removable drives on the desktop? Are the drives visible in the Finder sidebar?

JumperSK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2014
Do you have Finder set to display removable drives on the desktop? Are the drives visible in the Finder sidebar?

Yes all the rest drives are visible, sure something happened I must find out what.

JumperSK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2014
Have you tried manually mounting the fat partition in Disk Utility? (or diskutil on the CLI).

Yes I did, it says Disk can not be connected, try to use disk rescue utility, but I can't, buttons for rescue are not visible :(
I had Tuxera NTFS installed yesterday I though that this can be the problem but nothing change after uninstall.

Last edited:

JumperSK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2014
Nobody has solution ? :(
I have no idea how to resolve it. My system doesn't see "windows fat32" and "MS DOS fat"
It's not only finder, problem is somewhere inside the Yosemite.

Actually system sees it just can not connect, because disk is visible in Disk Utility.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.