Fat fingers make it hard to type???

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by davidy, Apr 25, 2008.

1. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think the stylus pretty much defeats the entire idea behind the touch screen. You'd have to have pretty fat (clumsy) fingers to not at least learn where the best place to touch is and is not but to each is own.

3. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

If your thumbs are too fat, this is the best option. ;)

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

5. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I have pretty fat fingers and don't hae a problem w/ the iPt...you'd have to have pretty HUGE fingers...the icons are so big! lol

6. davidy thread starter macrumors 6502

davidy

It's not the icons that are my problem, it's the letters on the keyboard. Also, I'm using a leather cover that has a front opening that's exactly the size of the touch's screen. This makes it difficult to accurately hit any areas on the sides of the screen, e.g, columns 1 and 9 on a Sudoku grid.

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

How long have you had your iPhone? I have pretty fat fingers and I really hated the keyboard at first. After a few weeks, it became much easier. My voyager keyboard was much, much nicer, but I've gotten comfortable with my iPhone.

8. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I'm going to have to give one another try. I kept wanting to buy one and would literally play for an hour or so twice. Kept mistyping and thought - what the heck, I can do most things with my regular ipod.

Your post gives me hope I too can type on it with enough practice.

9. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Glad I could help out. But remember, I don't care what anyone says, a real full keyboard such as the one on a Voyager, many BlackBerrys, and many Windows Mobile devices is much easier and more accurate, especially for people with large fingers. The iPhones keyboard is sufficient after practice and the rest of the iPhone's features is what makes it better than most of phones.

10. tennez macrumors regular

Dont worry if you big fingers...
    you can still turn the ipod horizontally and the keys get bigger....

11. aethelbert macrumors 601

Only in Safari... Not in mail, notes, calendar, or any other app that needs text input.

12. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

If you're going to buy a stylus, get a PDA.

I wish that landscape typing would work with other apps. For the iPhone, I think that landscape SMS typing would be a big plus. Landscape makes it much easier to type.

13. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Isn't that annoying? Think a future update will address that issue and always allows you to turn the iPhone sideways?

14. aethelbert macrumors 601

Yeah, I sure hope that it comes soon. I wouldn't be surprised to see that in 2.0.

15. Pippen Man macrumors regular

That's not in 2.0, I've already checked, even in the newest Beta Version.

16. aethelbert macrumors 601

The newest beta version that they've released outside of their campus, that is. They're probably hiding something (or more than one thing) for WWDC. We've been seeing revisions in features and coding in all of the betas...

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Or maybe a third party app.

Some for cut and paste. That would be nice as well.

18. wizard macrumors 68040

Size 15 shoes a tight fit!

I don't know about the rest of you guys but I often find many of the new "devices" on the market difficult for people with big hands. So a stylus is the way to go, if a wider keyboard can't be had.

Noticed I said many above, it is not just an Apple iPhone/Touch problem. Frankly I have an older cell simply because it is large enough to be easy to handle. Recently a guy tossed me his phone for a quick photo or two and let me tell you it was like trying to rub the belly of a greased frog.

In any event if you are often wondering why I champion a larger iPhone the reason is simple I want something easy to handle.

Dave

19. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Maybe Touch-2 will get Bluetooth. That would allow using a Bluetooth keyboard. They make some folding ones that are very portable.

4D