Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene

I find it interesting that you (and she) use the drug metaphor because I think it is spot on. In fact I'm not sure we can call it metaphor; I think we can take it quite literally. What is sold as ostensible food is carefully engineered to be literally addicting. And as you quite rightly point out this is a profound class issue: it takes far more time and money to eat well than most of the poor can muster. In fact, I suspect that part of our societal distaste for the overweight can be attributed to our hatred of the poor, who are constantly demonized as being lazy leaches and the scum of the earth.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
I find it interesting that you (and she) use the drug metaphor because I think it is spot on. In fact I'm not sure we can call it metaphor; I think we can take it quite literally. What is sold as ostensible food is carefully engineered to be literally addicting. And as you quite rightly point out this is a profound class issue: it takes far more time and money to eat well than most of the poor can muster. In fact, I suspect that part of our societal distaste for the overweight can be attributed to our hatred of the poor, who are constantly demonized as being lazy leaches and the scum of the earth.

Definitely! And as with almost everything I think a significant part of the solution is education. It doesn't always have to cost more to eat healthy, unprocessed foods but you do have to know a little and take the time to prepare it.

For those that do use food as their drug of choice it's always going to be more difficult because unlike other addictions you can't just totally avoid food. I imagine it's like asking an alcoholic to control themselves at one or two drinks.

Judgemental attitudes are probably even more difficult to tackle. What people are "supposed to" look like seeps in from birth to death in a variety of subtle and unsubtle ways. Best anyone can do is analyse themselves occasionally for how they really feel and why.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
Funny how the people with the least amount of room to talk are usually the first to do so.

Joan has had so much plastic surgery because she has deep issues with her own body, so she will always be the first to point out other people's appearance. It has little to do with them, and everything to do with her own inner issues.

To me, her shtick is quite tired and speaks of a lack of imagination and talent. It's disgusting that her whole act revolves around putting people down. Are we really that hard up for comedy that she would continue to be booked?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.