FAT16 External messed up

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by spiralof5, Sep 18, 2013.

1. spiralof5 macrumors newbie

I screwed up big time.

I'm switching all my files from Mac to PC because my Mac Pro is going to be dead.

I tried installing the bootcamp HFS drivers into Windows 8 and they did not work. Someone suggested to go into the Disk Management and change the drive letter to get it to show up. I did. No go. But here's the where the problem started: It totally screwed up the drive. I can't view it period in OS X or Windows.

I'm starting to use the iSkysoft Data Recovery tool but I'm wondering if there is an easier way. Can't I just repair the drive instead of using a recovery tool? I know I can't do it in Disk Utility but isn't there a way to recover the file structure?

My main problem is that I don't have another drive on my Mac that can fit 1tb of data. I'd have to buy another external to save my external.

I'm kind of freaking out here. I just want my data back but preferably in the same structure as it was before.

2. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Can you see the drive at all in disk utility (as in the partition just isn't mounting) or does it not show up at all?

3. spiralof5 thread starter macrumors newbie

The drive shows up as 999.5 gb wd my book 1110 Media.

The iSkysoft Data Recovery found all of the files but it seems to have only reconstructed files that it knows how to reconstruct...

I'm thinking I need to professionally have this recovered.