Fat32 and Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by w2dmb, Jan 21, 2010.

1. w2dmb macrumors newbie

Im new to mac, just got a 13" macbook pro unibody, and man its awesome.

I do however have a copy of windows 7 and of office for windows, so instead of forking out for office for mac, I am planning on dual booting the systems for the rare occasions when I need office.

I was wondering if it is possible to install windows 7 on a fat32 partition, I ask simply because the bootcamp instructions say that a. that would allow me to access the files while using OSX, and b. it says that this isn't possible with vista.

Thanks!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Stick with NTFS.

With Boot Camp 3.0 you can read files from the Mac side while booted to Windows and on the NTFS drive while booted to Mac OS X. You just can't write files to the "other" OS's partition.

If you really need R/W access you're better off getting MacDrive and NTFS-3G (or the like).

B

3. w2dmb thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Recent windows doesn't work well with fat, stick with NTFS.

5. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

They don't work at all. Starting with Vista, NTFS is required. You can't install Windows Vista or 7 on FAT32 even if you wanted to. But you wouldn't want to anyway because FAT32 is a piece of @#%*.

6. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

Last little tidbit is that with FAT32, the largest files size you can have is 4GB. So if you like having 1080p movies on your machine, FAT32 isn't the file system you want.