FAT32 External Hard Drive copying files problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by billyripkin, Mar 26, 2008.

1. billyripkin macrumors 6502

billyripkin

I just formatted a 120gb external hard drive to use with my PS3. I read that it had to be formated at a FAT32 but the problem I am running into is that I cannot copy files larger than 4gb. Is this a problem with my mac or the hard drive format?

2. trs23 macrumors member

Fat 32 is limited to 4GB per file.

3. billyripkin thread starter macrumors 6502

billyripkin

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

so does that mean even a 8gb flash drive would not work?

4. billyripkin thread starter macrumors 6502

billyripkin

Never mind. I tried buying a 8GB flash drive and the PS3 still does not recognize these files because it has to be FAT32 structure.:mad:

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

What files are you copying that are larger than 4 GB? And yeah, I was going to suggest formatting the flash drive as FAT32, but you'll run into the same restrictions with file size...

6. billyripkin thread starter macrumors 6502

billyripkin

I have created some AVCHD files larger than 4gb and I have tried burning to dual layer dvd+r, copying to external HD and wirelessly transferring them to the PS3 with no luck. At this point I believe that since the PS3 is formatted FAT32 then it cannot handle any files larger than that.:mad:

7. skorpien macrumors 68020

I read somewhere that Red Kawa PS3 Media Center is able to pull the file straight off the computer. Some guy was able to get a file larger than 4 GB on his PS3, but it was behaving weirdly because of the FAT32 file system. Also, he was using a PC. But I don't think it's the Mac's fault at all. I think the limitation's there for good unless they decide to support another format... which would probably require an entire reformat of your PS3 HDD :confused: sorry man...