FAT32 External HDD needing to be partitioned without format

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tokiopop, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

I bought an external HDD a couple of weeks ago, filed about 300GB up by backing up 2 laptops. I need to partition it to add a mac format partition for time machine and my winclone backup.

When I try to do this in disk utility, it wont let me. Is there a safe way to do this, possibly with other software? I really don't want to format it because I would need to find somewhere to store the current data on it first (which would be very difficult and time consuming).

Thanks, might be a stupid question.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

People generally opt to trade money for time. People are also inclined to trade money for risk. You are asking about avoiding spending time and you imply you want to reduce the risk of losing your stuff. If you are attached to the 300 Meg of stuff on the drive, why not purchase another one to use exclusively with Time Machine?

I'm sure there is some way to dynamically resize a partition on a removable drive and devote the new free space to an Apple partition for use with Time Machine. But why take the risk? Also keep in mind, Time Machine is not what I would call a "bulletproof" backup solution. It has its faults and foibles. I would not risk wiping out data I know I need to make space for Time Machine.

BTW, the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.

3. illy123 macrumors member

iPartition could accomplish this. But, partitioning a drive with data you don't want to lose is never a good idea.

My advice is to get a new HD.

4. Tokiopop thread starter macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Alright, throw caution to the wind and go ahead and resize the partition that contains 300 gig of stuff you care about. You can spend $45 on iPartition or you can go the freebie route: Here ya go...