FAT32 or NTFS? External Hard drive question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jason2811, Feb 20, 2011.

1. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

I have a hard drive with a bunch of mkv and mp4 movie files on my external hard drive which is formatted as FAT32. Soon I will be getting a new external as well as some movie files that are greater than 4GB. I want to be able to move these new movie files onto my new external hard drive since they cannot fit on my old one because of the 4GB limit. Should I set up my new external to be NTFS? If I do this, will I be able to move the files from my old external onto my new one? What is the difference between NTFS and FAT32? Thanks!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. Beezy macrumors regular

x2 for NTFS. Not sure about all the differences but I know fat32 does not support files over 4g which can be problematic. Depends on what you are using the drive for though. My Sony Bluray player only supports FAT32 presumedly to curb piracy. But if I was planning on using an external with it I would have no choice but to use FAT32.

4. jason2811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, will I be able to write to it from Windows PCs also? I currently have a mac. Also, if I plug the external into a PS3 or XBOX360 will those consoles be able to read from the drive if its NTFS.