FAT32 windows hardrive compatible?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by busterbluth, Jul 4, 2008.

1. busterbluth macrumors 6502

Im very interested in buying a new mac, MBP to be specific, but I still have a few questions.

I have a WD external harddrive that is in FAT32 format. Will this be compatible with my new mac? Can I read and write onto the drive?

Also, I have a lot of ripped DVD files and movies in various formats that I usually play with Windows media player. How easy is it to play these on a mac.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good bluetooth mouse for macs? I prefer those with back/forward buttons, and from what i hear, the mighty mouse is not a solid product.

Finally, is there a torrent sharing program for macs?

Thanks to anyone that helps!

2. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

If you're using a FAT32 hard drive, be aware that it has 4 GB individual file size limit. If you haven't run into that cap already, then I guess it may not be a problem for you. Also, FAT32 has a much more limited file name character set than OS X's file system. When I briefly experimented with using a FAT32 disk on my Mac, first thing I did was try to copy a big folder over to it, but the OS reported an error saying something like "some of the files you're trying to copy have names which are not allowed by this disk."

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, your Mac can read and write on FAT32 formatted drives.

You should be able to play all your music and movies on the Mac. You might need a few free add-on programs, such as VLC Player, depending on the formats you have.

I wouldn't say the Apple Mighty Mouse is not a solid product, since hundreds of thousands are using it every day. Some may not like the ergonomics, appearance or some features, but it's a good mouse. Logitech is my favorite mouse maker, but sadly, their bluetooth offerings are limited. I opted for the Logitech VX Nano, which uses a USB port, but the dongle is so tiny, I can leave it plugged in all the time. 5 programmable buttons, compact size, travel case, high-speed scrolling, great battery life, etc.

Others can answer this one better, since I'm not using bit torrent.

4. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

yep, your wd hard drive will work fine. Macs can both read and wright to FAT32, its only NTFS that you'll have issues with, under mac OS its read only. As for video codecs, I recommend "perian" and "flip4mac", both are free downloads the former will do most avi files whilst the latter will Handel wmv files, you can also google and download 3ivX, DivX, A52, and XviD codecs seperatly if you want but perian should manage fine

5. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Yep, there are plenty. Transmission, xtorrent, etc.

Also fyi, just because your disk is fat 32 formated doesn't mean it has to stay that way. If you make the switch to Mac you could just reformat the drive as OS X's native HFS+ format.

6. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

also versiontracker.com is your friend for all these little things. And I find "transmition" a great torrent program

7. busterbluth thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!

All your answers were very helpful. I cant wait to get my mac, Now I just have to decide when to buy my MBP. Montevia or Nehalem...decisions decisions.

8. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Glad we could help you. That'll be 29.95 please. I'll private message my paypal number to you.

;)